1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changed hard drive, now no power to computer at all

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rickyticky, Jul 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rickyticky

Rickyticky Thread Starter

What have I done? I got advice on adding a new hard drive and took the computer apart, put the new drive in and now can get no power to the computer. I made the mistake of trying to slide the boards out the back and I may have pulled out the small wires that hook up the front power switch and LED. I tried to hook them back up as best i could do by the labels but nothing fits quite right, ie connectors are four liitle bars, connection is only two. No other reason other than I fried it somehow with static electricity. I did have to vacuum out a lot of dust and such as it was really dirty (home renos). I did grab what seemed to be a spare power connector that was split from the existing hard drive and used it as the power supply for the new hard drive. I thought that would work OK but I guess I am in over my head. Other than that, I plug in the power cord, switch it on on the back and then try to press the on switch on the front of the computer....nothing. No fan, no boot nothing. Not sure what I have done all I know is I have done this before. I took it apart a few years ago and couldn't get any power. It ended up being something very simple but I didn't end up fixing it all I know is it was a laughable problem. What the heck have I done!!!! Computer is a P3 600 mgz. 250 watt power supply. No fuse switch that I can see. Will the computer not even go on if something is connected up wrong? No idea what I have done wrong. Any trouble shooting suggestions would help.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

The "small wires" to the power switch, LED's, reset switch, etc. must be connected correctly. It sounds like that is where your problem is. What motherboard do you have? The manual will tell you what goes where.

And, yes, the machine will not power on if something is connected incorrectly, but it can still burn out critical parts when connected incorrectly.

3. Rickyticky

Yes, I fiddled with the wires and finally got the combination to work. Now I am trying to get the hard drive set up. I am trying to change the bios but I can't seem to get into the part of setup. The computer prompts me to enter setup and I do but all I get into is the Boot method configuration. boot method is PXE, which is totally greek and I can see nothing on how to config the bios. Could I have the drives configed wrong and the old drive with the OS on it is not being seen and instead I have only the new drive which is not formatted or have any thing on it. Sorry, still confused at what to do. I don't want to leave the computer runnning if I am going to burn something up. Rickt

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

What is your goal and what are you trying to do? What have you done already?

5. Rickyticky

Everything seemed to come together, but it took a while. I did not have the drive formatted but went to the Seagate website and ran a utility and managed to get my bios changed, I think. Anyway, the drive is in, working and is recognized. Thanks to all that answered so promptly and helped me along. It was only yesterday that i decided to add the new drive and during that time, I got advice as to the exact drive to get and technical help to overcome the hurdles I, as a rookie, came upon. If I can get this done, almost anyone (well except my wife!!) could do it. Still not without a lot of help. Thanks to all! Regards, RickT

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/247332

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice