1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changed Hardware and had to Repair XP

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Mr_B_1961, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mr_B_1961

Mr_B_1961 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I recently changed out my motherboard from a board that supported only a Socket 478 1.7 GHz and USB 1.1 for one that supported a Socket 478 2.6 GHz processor and USB 2.0. The system is running XP Home.

Well after this change I booted my system the first time it would go to the splash screen and then reboot. This was followed by it going to the screen showing the option to boot in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Last Good Configuration or Normally. I tried all the options and was sent back to previously described screen every time.

My only option was to put my XP Setup disk in and do a repair to XP. This worked but my problem is that I had Office and Frontpage installed on my computer. Now when I try and access them I get the following screen: see attachment.

Is there a way to get my Office and Frontpage programs to work short of digging out the original install disks and reinstalling them again.

Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Office will no longer be activated on the new machine. Can you activate it through a shortcut in the Start Menu without starting it?

It may also be a minor registry change that needs to be done. But is this a true repair or a reinstallation? Are all your shortcuts from your previously installed programs still in the Start Menu?

3. IMiteBable2help

IMiteBable2help

For future reference, you cannot just yank a hard drive out, put it on different hardware, and expect it to boot, which is essentially what you did. You're better off starting over, formatting your drive and reinstalling your OS and apps, including any software that came with your board. There's no telling what other problems you're going to have if you don't, so you might as well do it right the first time.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would bet your repair was an overinstall which actually eliminated the installed programs so now you have to install the programs fropm their disks.

5. Mr_B_1961

Mr_B_1961 Thread Starter

All the shortcuts are still there. Everything is exactly the way it was before the motherboard change.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

That's right they would be but the programs would be gone from an overinstall. Files are probably there too but you have a new registry so programs need to be installed. XP Repair is not done in Windows, you have to boot to cd to do that.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Can you list the exact steps you followed and the options you chose when you went through this process?

8. Mr_B_1961

Mr_B_1961 Thread Starter

Sure Started up the computer ...
    It booted up to the Startup Splash Screen ... Then the system came back to the screen that said it had a problem.
    It gave the three options:
    1. Safe Boot
    2. Safe Boot with Networking
    3. Last Known Good Configuration
    4. Normal

I tried all the options in order it came back to that screen every time.
    I then inserted my XP CDRom Disk and it went through and asked what I wanted to do. Gave the normal options, tried a Repair of it. It booted to the 4 option Screen. So that not working re-ran the XP CD and opted for it to try and Repair my Current Installation, prior to this having been working on my wife's PC with a MUP.sys problem I had made a backup of the following registry files:

default.bak
    sam.bak
    security.bak
    software.bak
    system.bak

I hope all this helps. Thank you.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

I sure never heard of XP repair which appears to be done correctly removing programs....something is worng here.

10. IMiteBable2help

IMiteBable2help

@ Rich-M
    Repair is an option when you boot from an XP CD if XP is already installed on the C drive. C'mon, you've never heard of that?

Anyway, I've never seen it actually work. It usually messes everything up and you end up do a clean install anyway. I suppose it would be a good option if your machine won't boot into Windows so you could get to your files, but you still need to do a complete re-install.

@Mr_B_1961: See post #3. For all the time invested so far, it could have been been fixed by now. Next time you want to change out a motherboard, it's best to think of it as a new computer so you'll have to do a clean install of the OS and applications.

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

I said I never heard of XP repair removing programs, not that I never heard of XP Repair!

12. IMiteBable2help

IMiteBable2help

You know, I just re-read your post before I read your response and I now realize what you were saying. Sorry. My bad.

You are right. It doesn't actually remove programs. Theoretically a repair should only replace important system files in the event that they become corrupted, and it should do the very least necessary to repair the OS itself so it can operate. Unfortunately, this often results in registry changes and replacement many .DLL's that programs depend on, resulting in those programs failing to work after the OS repair. As I was saying before, a repair sounds good in theory, but in reality you're better off re-installing everything, or better yet, having a recent known good backup of your entire HDD. The only use I have found for the repair option was on a system that wouldn't boot due to corrupted or missing system files. I used repair so I could get it to boot so I could retrieve some user files, but many programs failed to work after the repair so a clean install was the best option. I feel the same way about system restore. Useless.

13. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

Well IMiteBable2help I was just gonna say what you said about a windows repair replacing the registry and causing all kinds of other errors. You said it well.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/822955

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice