1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changed out a router but still cant connect to the internet. Pls help!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cristiano83, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cristiano83

cristiano83 Thread Starter

Hi all,

My internet connection is as such:
    ISP MODEM-->RJ45 cable-->Router-->Laptop(running on Vista) & PC (runnning on XP)

I can't home from work today, my dad had already switched off the PC after gg online.
    I switch on the laptop and found that i can't access the internet.
    So i power off the router and modem altogether and power them on.

However i still can't connect to the internet. And now both my PC and Laptop can't access internet.
    It is showing as "connected" to the router but apparently i can't access the internet.

So i was wondering if it is the modem or the router that is faulty so i disconnect the RJ45 cable tat is connected to the router and plug it straight to my laptop. I can access internet (that's how i can type here).

So i figure the modem and the line is okay. So the router must be faulty. Well, so i went out and bought a new router and replaced it. But i still couldn't access the internet.

I'm puzzled. If the modem/line/router is not spoilt, what is wrong with my internet connection if nothing has been modified?

Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

The old router is TP-link brand TL-WR740N and the new one is Aztech WL852RT-4.

2. Soundy

Soundy

Who is your ISP? What modem are they using?

Some ISPs require that the device connected to the modem (router's WAN port, or laptop) be registered with your account... a new router might need to be registered. If the connection was once set up with your laptop directly connected, that would explain why it works. The router may have been set up at one point to "clone" the laptop's hardware address, so the ISP would see a recognized device.

With the router (either one) connected to the modem, try going into its settings, look up the WAN status, and see what it gives you for a WAN IP.

3. cristiano83

cristiano83 Thread Starter

Hi Soundy,

thanks for the reply.
    Actually i've changed out routers before this when my previous routers died on me years ago & I'm pretty sure i have never registered any routers before.
    And as for cloning of the physical hardware address, i have assembled different pc over the last few years which would mean the MAC address of those pc would have been different.
    My ISP is starhub.
    Not sure if you heard of that.
    My modem is Motorola Surfboard SB5100i.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029358

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice