1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changed Power Supply--Monitor Won't Boot Up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Pocketplayer, Mar 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pocketplayer

Pocketplayer Thread Starter

Thanks in advance...

1. I was given a newer PC from my neighbor. Gateway P4, 160gig hd
    2. Gateway PC's Power Supply did not work so I ordered another.
    3. New PS worked, but the monitor won't boot up.
    4. I reformatted the 160hd w/Windows XP Pro and it works fine in my old PC.
    5. I put the reformatted HD into the Gateway...same thing, monitor won't boot, but it works fine with my old PC.
    6. I went over all the PS connections and for the life of me, I think I have them all connected correctly. Still no boot to monitor. Green monitor power light just blinks. Also, no juice to the keyboard (no green lights)

I really want the PC upgrade with the Gateway...it is a better PC for sure, but how to get the monitor working.

The MAIN reason why I am wanting to upgrade is I have an Internet DSL speed of 3.0 piped into the house but only get half the speed. My current PC is VERY old (733Mhz)...not even a gig processor. I need a new PC, and hope the newer PC will boost all performance and if not, I need to change my AT&T service.

Any suggestions?

Sorry if I wasn't clear above...hard to really nail things with words sometimes.

PP

2. Lance1

Lance1

Do you have another video card? I would assume the Gateway is all onboard? Pull the video card from the old computer and put it in the Gateway. This would depend on the card being AGP or PCI. Does the Gateway have an AGP slot? After you install the card you’ll have to go into the bios and disable the onboard video.

3. Pocketplayer

[​IMG]

Where is the video card here?

The red highlight is a four slot is for the power supply. I detached it for photo.

I hooked up all the connections

The yellow highlights are an empty...

New PC is a Gateway 500s
    Actual Model #: MFATX PNT ESX 500S PO4 Manufactured 12/02 Pentium-4

4. Smiles n' grins

Smiles n' grins

The larger yellow rectangle is an AGP slot which can be used for a graphics card if the onboard graphics aren't enough for you. The other yellow rectangle...hmmmmm....it's some type of place to draw power from...I've seen it before, just can't remember if it's really that important.

Obviously, if you are going to move the video card from the old computer to the new one, it'll most likely be installed to the white PCI slots.

5. Lance1

Lance1

The brown slot is the AGP. The other small one is the sound port for the CD/ROM. I would assume the bottom PCI is the modem and the next is the network card. The board most likely has onboard video. If the monitor works on the old system them it sounds as though it hardware issue. You see no type on the screen at first boot? Can you see the BIOS?

6. Pocketplayer

The board most likely has onboard video.

This was my guess. I do not see a plug n pull video card here

My old PC is running NOW...which is why I am online. I have reformatted the new 160gig HD and that is what I have plugged into the old PC.

I pull the HD off the old, plug into the new, turn on...and the monitor never boots.

Here's the catcher...it did at one time. It would go to a screen that asked for Safe Mode...but the keyboard arrows would not let me move. When I could move them, it just cycled over and over to the safe mode. This was all before reformatting the HD.

So I ask the question...why would a monitor not boot up that works perfectly fine in another PC?

Could I have missed connecting a crucial wire for from the power supply or maybe misconnected one preventing the monitor to boot?

The power supply I bought for this Gateway PC was 90% the same. It works fine, and the connectors are basically the same from the old one that didn't work. There are only so many places the wires connect to. I've tried almost every possbility to problem solve.

This is very frustrating because I feel I have driven 1000 miles only to get stopped at the guard gate before entering! Sooo close!

7. Lance1

Lance1

Do you know anyone with a video card you can test with? AGP or PCI it doesn’t mater. Also have you tried pulling the cmos battery and let the system sit for about 20 or 30 minutes and them reinsert the battery and try again. Another thought is that you discharged static to the main board. It only take a minuet static discharge to kill a section if not the whole board.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/807188

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice