1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

changes by hdparm - is this permanent?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by paulb100, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

ive been trying to get rid of this stupid whirring/clicking sound that happens for 6-10 seconds every 10 seconds or so... ive since learnt that its aggressive power saving mode in my HDD (that Linux programmers refuse to sort out like windows programmers do) - trying to fix it i used the hdparm code setting - does this make permanent changes in the hard-drive that would reflect in windows if i boot back into windows? - i tried the 255 and 254 code and none of which worked but after coming back into windows there seems to be random clicks more often than before.. i dunno if its just me worrying that ive broke my hard-drive by trying these codes and thinking it is or wot

so are these changes permanent or do they reset at boot?

thanks

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi paulb100,

Have you tried booting into the BIOS to determine if you can disable PM?

Also, have you checked the man pages for (hdparm, sdparm) after using hdparm or sdparm to determine if a reboot may be required?

Also, what kind of hard drive do you have (Western Digital, SeaGate,...) and is it PATA or SATA?

-- Tom

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice