1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing a Windows 2000 Server Key

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by balasarius, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. balasarius

balasarius Thread Starter

Hi,

I am currently cataloging software licences for work and have been for the last month and have come across a few windows 2000 server keys that have been reused. we have 4 servers running 2000 and 4 keys, one for each server but it looks like only 2 keys have been used for the 4 servers in operation.

I have all the odd's and end's to change the product keys for every other windows operating other than windows 2000 server. I could do with getting these keys changed to keep everything compliant.

can anyone suggest how I could go about changing these product keys.

Thanks

2. draceplace

draceplace

If you own 4 license you are technically in compiance. Document by making a to-do list to correct keys on next reinstall on server. I think you actually get out of compliance by trying to (hack) change the keys on the fly.

Its been a while since I did a 2000 install but if a 'repair' would accept a new key it would be easier than rebuild??

3. balasarius

balasarius Thread Starter

hmm ok I wouldtry the repair option if I could unfortunatly the servers in question are business critical and can't afford them to fail on me.

those servers are due for upgrade in the next few months so looks like I'll just wait until then to correct the product keys on them.

thanks for your response.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758746