1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing AGP bus speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wim_mulder, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wim_mulder

wim_mulder Thread Starter

I upgraded to Vista but I need to change my ati aiw x800xl AGP from 8x to 4x. I could do it in xp using smartgart (in the ati driver), but for some reason it is not in the Vista 7.1 driver release. And for some reason I can't change it in my BIOS either. It is just faded out and I can't select it, it just says AUTO. Is there any other way to change this it. Otherwise my games crash. I am using an MSI motherboard with a via chipset. Here is what ATI help says:

The AGP speed, the rate in which data is transmitted, is determined by your motherboard. For optimal performance set the speed recommended by your motherboard manufacturer. Reducing the AGP bus speed may resolve problems of an unstable computer.

Note: This option is available only for AGP or PCI graphics cards. Since Windows Vista™ directly controls the AGP and PCI bus, this option is not available on systems running Windows Vista™ .

From the Graphics Settings tree, click SmartGart™.
    Click and drag the Control slider to the required setting.

2. Kustom

Kustom

Are you using the pt8800 chipset?

3. wim_mulder

Nope it is the :
    • VIA® K8M800 Chipset
    • VIA® VT8237 Chipset

4. wim_mulder

I have tried ATITOOL but it does not let you change the speed.

5. GripS

GripS

You are using an operating system that has just been released and not many people use. I wouldn't be surprised if this is just the standard growing pains for a new operating system. Keep checkin for driver updates.

6. wim_mulder

Well I just talked to MS and they said to contact ATI, so I will do that tommorow. But I guess that they will say to contact MS again. Oh well. If I do not get it to work do you think I would be able to get my money back. (I am expecting "no")

7. wim_mulder

8. loony_taz00

loony_taz00

get ur money back fo rhte video carD? most likely,

9. wim_mulder

Guess I will probaly have to go into dual-boot between xp and vista (xp so I can play games, vista for other stuff) Still annoying. Will just have to give it time, when someone finds out how to change that in Vista.

10. wim_mulder

Is there anyway to partition my hard drive without wiping everything, and not having to pay for a program. Also since I bought the upgrade version to Vista, can I still install Windows XP on the new partion, or is it deactivated? Thanks

11. GripS

GripS

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice