1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing AGP speed in BIOS problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wim_mulder, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wim_mulder

wim_mulder Thread Starter

I am not able to change my AGP bus speed from 8x to 4x in Windows Vista. So I want to do it in my BIOS but in there it is faded out and I can't select the option (AGP MODE) to change it. It is on AUTO now. What can I do? Thanks

2. wim_mulder

I have found out that I am able to change the voltage for my AGP port in my BIOS. And I read in a few places that this can help system stablility. What is the maximum SAFE voltage I should try. I am using AGP 8x. My graphics card is an ATI AIW x800xl. I am NOT overclocking either. Thanks

3. wim_mulder

I was looking farther in my BIOS and it only allows me to go between 1.55 and 1.85 volts, but since AGP 8x is .8v that does not help. So I really need to know how to get my BIOS to allow me to change that setting.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If the option is unsupported by the BIOS (and that appears to be the case) then there is nothing that you can do in the BIOS to change it from Auto.

You could check if the motherboard maker has released a new BIOS version that allows it, but the normal warnings apply, when a BIOS flash goes wrong the motherboard is usually a doorstop. Unless release notes indicate the additional feature you should not consider flashing it.

I am confused by your motherboard in the specs you list, you have it as MSI K8MM-ISLR, I can only find MSI K8MM-ILSR.

5. wim_mulder

My mistake it is MSI K8MM-ILSR sorry for the confusion.

6. wim_mulder

I really need some help. Any ideas would help. Thanks
    [​IMG]
    and here to change voltages
    [​IMG]

7. thechanmane

thechanmane

Unfortunately, kiwiguy is exactly correct; if it's not an option, it's simply not an option. It is somewhat odd though that a placeholder exists for the option if it won't let you change it, but the simple truth is that with you hardware configuration, you motherboard won't let you change it. Your only option would be to flash the BIOS to a newer revision (if any exist that address the issue, as kiwi suggested) or as a shot in the dark simply reset your CMOS and cross your fingers. Resetting the CMOS can do amazing things, but it can also be a waste of time, so don't hope too hard! If you want a definitive answer, find another graphics card that you know supports AGP 4X/8X and test it out, see if anything changes. It would be a bummer if something isn't working as it should be, but it may just be the way things are on your motherboard.

8. wim_mulder

I see, I am going to try set up my system so that it will dual-boot xp and vista, which is annoying but what can I do. Thanks

9. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

That setting should not be OS dependent.

The BIOS exists totally independent of any operating system.

Odd indeed if it allows a BIOS change in XP but not in Vista, if that is what you are saying?

10. wim_mulder

So I now got both xp and vista on my system, but it does not go to the place where I can select between XP and Vista. Currently Vista is on drive C (partition) and XP is on D. So maybe I have to go just Vista. I am thinking of just buying a new motherboard, which SHOULD solve my problem. Anybody know why I can't see XP? Thanks

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541238

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice