1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

changing an 80.0 GB HD for an 40.0 GB HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by starwolf39, Dec 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starwolf39

starwolf39 Thread Starter

here's the situation:

current computer

HP Pavilion 7960
    1.3 Ghz Pentium 4 Processor
    128 MB RDRAM
    40.0 GB HD
    CD-RW
    DVD
    WinME

the one i want to buy

HP Pavilion 7965
    1.7 Ghz Processor
    512 MB SDRAM
    80.0 GB HD
    CD-RW
    DVD
    WinXP

Now, all i want to do is to swap the HD's between each computer, so that the 7960 has the 80.0 GB HD and the 7965 has the 40.0 GB HD. However, how would i be able to do this?? If I just switch the HD's then will the new 80.0 GB HD start up OK and kind of "think" that it's a new computer?

Sorry the question seems kind of weird, hopefully you can figure it out. Please answer quickly because i need to buy the PC soon!!

2. slipe

slipe

The new HD is not going to have data on it and you should have a restore disc to put it back like it was when you got it.

Put the new hard drive in your old computer as slave. Format the new HD. Boot to DOS and type xcopy /? It will give you a list to choose from for copying the old drive to the new one. Swap the drives. Check that the 80Gig drive boots your computer in ME and works fine. Then put the old drive in your new computer, format it and use the restore CD to put it just like the old one was.

Some people prefer XXCopy to copy the drives: http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy/

3. starwolf39

starwolf39 Thread Starter

i forgot to mention that i want to have winXP on my own computer the 7960 by switching it with the new HD. i want to be able to get BOTH HD's to run in winXP. can i install the old one as a slave in the new comp, format it so that both have winXP, and then put the old one as the master and then then the new one as the master in my comp (the 7960)?

4. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

You don't want two copies of Windows XP on one computer. You only need an operating system installed on one of the drives. You can format the other one for data storage.

5. deuce

deuce

(legally...) You can only have one copy of windows per license (you buy the license to use the OS, you aren't paying for the actual OS)... in which case you own a license for Xp and Me, but not two for Xp. You used to be able to install windows on however many computers you wanted regardless of legal issues but now as I understand it, ms has it worked out so the security features allow Xp to only be on ONE computer. If you change enough components or reinstall Xp or whatever you have to have to have microsoft re-instate your copy (license) so it works. Since you actually own two licenses, it might work out but since the one license is for Me they might make you upgrade that one by buying an upgrade. Do both computers have all the same components except for the cpu, mobo, ram, HD and OS? You should be able to put the 80 Gb in the 1.3 Ghz and be good to go, and then reformat the 40 GB and image the 80 onto the 40... but like I said it might not work because of the stupid security features. I haven't used Xp yet and so this is just what I hear from people so it might just come up when you go through the actual installation process, or it might be wrong entirely. Does HP give you a Xp disc with the 1.7 Ghz? You might also be able to run the system restore from the 1.7 on the 1.3. If they have very different components it should still work but you will have to deal with alot more driver issues.

...then again I could be wrong entirely.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61080

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice