1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing and formatting hard drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by carbonterry, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carbonterry

carbonterry Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have recently installed a new motherboard, processor, more RAM and added another SATA hard drive (40Gig). The old drive (10Gig) will remain in the system for back up. How do I change the new drive (now designated as the E:drive) to be the C: drive in order to reinstall XP?
    This computer does not see a lot of use but is very slow now even though the new widgets were installed.
    Thanks.

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

How did you get a SATA hard drive into a computer that had a 10GB hard drive on it?

3. carbonterry

Do you mean physically? Just bolted it up and plugged it into the connectors. I did completely rebuld the processor, and motherboard with a new box.

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

OK, so you completely upgraded--you mean you essentially have a new computer now--I'm caught up now...:)

When you install XP, it will ask you which unformatted or formatted space on which to put the new installation. Just select the new, larger drive.

I'd suggest leaving the old one out while you're re-installing for simplicity purposes. (Or just unplugging it from the motherboard).

5. carbonterry

Thanx for the help. What about the "jumper" on the E drive?

6. carbonterry

Will the new installation automatically designate the old E as the new C drive?

7. telegramsam

telegramsam

Yeah--go ahead and install your operating system. You can set that jumper to master if it's the only drive on that IDE cable.

Once you install your O/S, reinstall your drivers, update Windows, etc, THEN put the old drive back in. Go into disk management and enable and format it if it isn't NTFS already. Formatting it will erase the old system and get you all the usable disk space ready. When you enable and format it, you're given the option to name it and give it drive letter at that point. It will likely default to E.

Note--formatting it will ERASE it, so if you have anything on there you want to save, JUST enable it and transfer it to your new drive... You can reformat it from disk management later if you choose to do so.

8. carbonterry

Thank you,
    I appreciate the help. There is no diagram on the back of the new drive. There are 4 sets of two pins with the jumper being on the right hand most 2 pins. (looking from the back of the drive).
    Any idea of where to connect the jumper.
    This must be pretty remedial for you but I appreciate the help.

9. telegramsam

telegramsam

Leave it right where it was. It has it's own IDE cable?

10. carbonterry

Yes it does.

11. telegramsam

telegramsam

If there are no other devices on that same cable then, just go ahead and plug it right back in the way it was. This is why I you want to install your operating system first, then all of your boot records will set down just the way they need to be.

Then add the drive and enable it--and you're good to go.

12. carbonterry

Thanx very much!!

13. carbonterry

Hello again,
    I re-attached the old hard drive to retreive some files and it resumed the function of the C drive.
    I shut down the computer to re-attach and upon the re boot the old drive took over.
    Any suggestions?

14. bigbear

bigbear

Have you reinstalled windows on the new drive?
    Is the new drive set as "first boot" in bios?

15. telegramsam

telegramsam

That's going to be the trick. Find the boot order in your BIOS and put that hard drive to second position if you will be booting from CD or first if you won't be. Putting the hard drive first will cut a little time out your boot process.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543045

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice