1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing back to Windows Shell Commor

Discussion in 'Games' started by national_swimmer, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. national_swimmer

national_swimmer Thread Starter

Hi,

I recently opened a 'savegame' file using notepad. I now find out that i cannot get it to play properly. I realize that i have to change it back to what it was originally, however i am unable to do this. I need to change it back to Windows Shell Commor/Common.

I have downloaded a program called 'Unassociate File Types' however i am not very clever and i don't really know what to get rid of.

Thanks for any help i receive,
    Maisie

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The file association doesn't matter for the game, the game will use the file regardless of the Windows association. However you probably changed and saved the file and it's no longer usable by that game. Unless you have a backup of the original untouched file you may have lost the ability to use that save point for the game.

3. national_swimmer

I do have a backup, which is conveniently untouched.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    And what happens when you replace the current file with the backed up file?

5. national_swimmer

It won't let me play the file at all.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You don't play the file directly. What game does this file belong to, what error do you get when you try to load that save point in the game? More details are required.

7. national_swimmer

Ok. It is a savegame for The Sims 3 game. I was experimenting and i opened it in Notepad. I then realized that when i went to play the game, i could not get it to play. It came up saying 'There was a serious error while loading the file.' And also said 'we strongly recommend that you restart the application.'

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Ok, so do not use that save point and start a new game or use a different save. I haven't used Sims 3 in a long time so I do not know the exact file you corrupted.

9. national_swimmer

Apparently i can change it back to the file type it was originally.
    Do you know how to use an 'Unassociate File Types' program?

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    What happens if you create a new neighbourhood?

12. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

File associations are not your problem. You actually changed the filename. Notepad, by default, adds ".txt" to the end of any file it saves. If your filename was "savegame.cfg," it will not probably be "savegame.cfg.txt." If you look at the file, and it has a notepad icon, that is the give-away. If you unhide filename extensions, you will see what I mean.

The trick is to enclose the filename in quotes when saving. The quotes won't be included in the saved name.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083006

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice