1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing Boot drive Letter

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by charliemb, Dec 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. charliemb

charliemb Thread Starter

I was doing a new installation of XP home on a new hard drive, XP formatted the drive as F:\ and installed the boot sector there because a thumb drive was in the usb port (which it recognized as C:\). I wasn't paying that close of attention and I didn't realize XP would see that thumb drive as C:\. My question: is there any way to change the boot letter back to C: without reformatting the hard drive?

2. Anthony:-P

Anthony:-P

Yes there is.
    Go to start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer management > Storage > Disk management.
    Then right click on drive, and choose change drive letter / path

3. charliemb

charliemb Thread Starter

I tried that, you can only change the non-boot partitions.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

To change the boot partition you have to re-install Windows as a clean installation, there is no other way.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/523698

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice