1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

changing computer owner, XP home

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lightsareout, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lightsareout

lightsareout Thread Starter

my current computer i bought used from a person named tom. All the owner information is under his name, how do i change it? i ask because i'm selling this computer to my friend for his girlfriend once i get my new one running. TIA

2. racenutalways

racenutalways

3. lightsareout

that didn't work, any other ideas?

4. racenutalways

racenutalways

what version windows are you running, modifying the registry should have worked??

5. lightsareout

xp home, i modified the registry and everything is still under toms name, guy who i bought it from

6. racenutalways

racenutalways

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Changing the Registered Owner and Company details is easy. You cannot change the name of the folders under "my documents" that may have the previous name, you need to create a new user and delete the old.

In the situation you describe, it would be foolish, in my view, to not reformat and reload Windows from scratch. You never know what is on the PC from the prvious owner, it's like selling a car with all the personal papers from all previous owners still in the trunk..

8. racenutalways

racenutalways

If you can't re-format for whatever reason, right click on "my computer" then "properties" then "computer name" from there you will be able to change things.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Have you ever done anything online like used your credit card, logged on to your bank, used e-bay, pay-pal, e-mail. All these are faily easy to recover if you just give the computer to someone else. Something to consider.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!