1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Changing CPU & MOBO but keeping HDD & SSD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Midkidd, Aug 21, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Midkidd

Midkidd Thread Starter

I’m changing from an Intel to AMD along with a new X570 motherboard. Of course now that I try to boot with my previous HDD and SSD I realize most likely will need a fresh Windows 10 install, given that the new board cannot detect a boot device.

My question is do I need to completely wipe both my HDD and SSD for this new install of Windows? I can see multiple partitions within my bios boot list, I will need to check back when I can and report what they all show.

As I understand it, I should be able to delete my HDD from the BIOS as I see it listed within the partition list. However, I can’t really seem to find what to do about my SSD. This SSD contains my current OS install windows, and I would like to use it for the same purpose for this new install of Windows 10 on the new motherboard and cpu. Am I able to wipe this from the BIOS in the same way as the HDD?

I have a usb with the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool downloaded, I just need a Windows 10 product key and a partition device to install to, or perhaps I can just activate my Windows later and let it install.

Please correct me if I’m wrong about any of this. Apologies for the long post, and thank you for all your help!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some high end motherboards have a secure erase feature in the bios. Many of the asus ROG and Asrock Fatal1y boards have this option.
    Before doing the install, go to the support page for your board. Download ALL of the drivers, utilities, etc you are going to need along with things like CCleaner, irfanview, VLC, etc. What I do is make a windows install usb using the media creation tool. When done, I add a folder on the usb and copy all of the drives, etc. Now everything is in one place.
    When you do the install, pull the pw connector from your hard disk. Have only the system drive connected. Boot with the install usb and delete ALL partitions on the drive then let windows setup make partitions as necessary.

Unless you have attempted multiple installs, there really is no reason to wipe or secure erase the ssd. Just delete all partitions on the disk and you are good to go. A secure erase is done when the drive's controller throttles the drive due to having too many writes in too short a time. Basically the memory cells get "Dirty" Doing a secure erase gets rid of the issue.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Post back if you have any other questions. Ryzen has incredible performance however ryzen does need careful tuning in the bios to achieve a high level of performance. Currently I am running a 2700X [overclocked to 4.2] on an asrock X470 board.Post all of your parts ie exact mb, exact ram, pw supply, etc.
    If you intend on overclocking, you will probably need better cooling. Running at stock speed, the amd cooler is fine [even good for a slight OC]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  4. Midkidd

Midkidd Thread Starter

Thank you! Things went fairly straight-forward, I just opted for Windows to delete the SSD partition and re-install a fresh OS. I then decided to just format my previous HDD given I had backed it up prior.

Everything seems to be working and no issues with this OS install. I suppose now all I have to decide is if “activating Windows” is actually worth it.

Again thank you! Solved.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231826

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice