Changing CPU or RAM to solve Windows 10 issues

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

loukavr

Hi!

My computer is having a lot of trouble booting and I get a BSOD ‘message: memory management’ from time to time. I'm running Windows 10. I’m looking for a way to fix this and my idea was to change the RAM and/ or CPU, since it would be a shame to throw the whole thing away. But first I would like to be sure that this would actually solve the problem.

Do you think that my troubles are caused by a hardware malfunctioning? If so, will changing any of the parts help?

System specs:
CPU: Intel i3-2100 3.10 GHz, 3MB Cache
RAM: Corsair XMS3, 4GB Dual channel
GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 OC (PCI-e, 1GB DDR 5, MINI-HDMI, 2x DVI)
Motherboard: MSI P67A-G45 (B3) Mainboard
Power: XFX PRO650W Core Edition
SSD: Seagate Momentus XT 500GB

Thanks!

Last edited:

crjdriver

First of all, in order to assist you, you need to post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact ram, exact video card, etc, etc, etc. Do not post "500W pw supply" Post the exact brand and model# Do that for all of your parts.
If this is a big box system, ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact mfg and model# If you have a service tag# post that as well.

crjdriver

Start with some basic troubleshooting. Download and run memtest http://www.memtest.org/
Let memtest run for at least 1~2hr to see if you have any errors. Check your temps and voltages; specifically cpu temp, 12V, 5V and 3.3V values.

I never build with msi boards however I believe msi has monitoring software on the support page for your mb [control center] Download this and install; post the temps and voltages. Do this twice once under a no load condition and once while stress testing with either prime95 or IBT [both free downloads]

Just as a general rule, cpus usually do not fail. In fact a cpu is actually pretty hard to hurt unless you overclock/overvolt or physically damage it during installation.
My money would be on a failing mb. MSI [IMO] is a mid-level mfg at best and the quality of msi boards is just not up to the quality of a high end asus or gigabyte board.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
How long ago and how exactly did you install Windows 10 in your computer?
Is it Windows 10 Home or Pro, 32-bit or 64-bit?

The MSI motherboard in your computer doesn't appear to have full support for Windows 8 or Windows 10, so I don't know if that's part of the problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------

loukavr

Memtest is currently running. No errors so far (1h +).
I believe that I installed Windows 10 about a year ago, 64-bit. Ever since then the pc had the issue of restarting itself after staying idle for a few minutes. This problem occurs more frequently now and actually shows a BOSD error. Also, the booting trouble is new: more than half of the time I've to restart booting because it's taking forever.

*Update: the temps seem to be ok, they don't go over 60C while doing stress tests.

I really appreciate your help!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts