1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

changing default logon WIN 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by baldric, Oct 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. baldric

baldric Thread Starter

I want to restore the defulat logon name when my computer starts. It used to always boot up with "administrator" in the name box (me) but after connecting to my home computer it now starts up with another user name - "tom"(the name of my home computer). How can I change the default name to administrator so I don't have to erase 'tom" and retype "administrator" every time I boot up?

Thanks very much for any help offered!

2. mobo

mobo

Control panel / user accounts / select the account then change the name.

3. baldric

baldric Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the reply. Unfortunately there is no "user accounts" option in my control panel - there is a "user and passwords" option with administrator and guest listed under user name but I can't figure out how that can help-I am not very knowledgeable. Anymore suggestions would be appreciated but thanks for the tip already provided

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

By default, Windows 2000 remembers the last user logged onto the machine unless there is a policy in affect clearing the last user logged on but I didn't think that it did it for the administrator account.

I personally would not run as administrator all the time. Go into users and passwords and create another username and make that user a Standard user (power user) or another administrator.

5. pileyrei

pileyrei

I'm not sure you can do this? You can have it that the logon box is empty when starting up. Does that help? If so try this:

Click start>programs>admin Tools. If admin tools are not shown you will have to install them from the windows 2000 server disk.The package to install is called adminpak.msi. Also look for admin tools in the control panel.

Under the admin tools choose local security settings. Expand local policies and click security options. Find " do not display last user name in logon screen. Dbl click. Changed to "enabled".

Close all windows down.

Hope this is useful.

Regards

Pileyrei

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Start > run > gpedit.msc or secpol.msc

7. GeekGawd

GeekGawd

Little confused, do you connect to another computer or is this the same PC you talking about?

~Gg~

8. mobo

mobo

Try the users and paswords route then advanced tab and advanced tab again. Right click on the user in question and change the name..

9. baldric

baldric Thread Starter

Thanks very much to mobo, LwdSquashman, pileyrei and Geek Gawd for their helpful replies.

I've restored my original user name prompt by using a suggestion from LwdSquashman: go to admin tools- local security settings -local policies - security options - "do not display last user name in log-on screen. Dbl click. Changed to "enabled". Then I rebooted and logged on with the user name I wanted and went back to the same option and changed "do not display last user name in log-on screen" back to disabled.

Woo hoo! Back to 'normal'.

10. mobo

mobo

Excellent, you're all set then.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173606

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice