1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing Desktop Icons

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by robhic, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robhic

robhic Thread Starter

First Name:
    Robert
    I hope this is the right place to post this question. I searched the archives but no luck.

My problem is more an annoyance than anything. At times when desktop programs are opened or closed, the desktop icons rearrange themselves. Like after I close a program the entire desktop sorta blinks and the icons are in a different position.

When the computer starts (Windows XP Home SP3) the orientation is jumbled, not like I had the icons normally arranged. I have a nifty program that memorizes the desktop and then can restore it the way I would normally want it to be set. So that makes this more an annoyance than anything.

I've tried setting the desktop to 'auto-arrange' and/or 'set to grid' but neither of these settings work to prevent icon position changing. I recently got a new monitor (Samsung 245BW) and the problem started after installation.

I am assuming that the monitor driver is causing the problem but if I uninstall the driver, the monitor won't work right so that seems to limit my options.

Any ideas? Need more info? I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has some ideas and thanks in advance.

Robert

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

It's a feature of Windows so icons don't end up off screen if you change resolutions. If you run a program that changes your screen resolution to a smaller value (say a game that runs in 640x480 full screen), any icons that would be "off screen" at that resolution are automatically re-arranged to fit on the smaller size screen.

There has to be a way to avoid that, as the Windows Media Center interface does not re-arrange icons when it switches resolution, but I'm sure that would have to be coded into each program.

HTH

Jerry

3. robhic

robhic Thread Starter

First Name:
    Robert
    The thing that gets me is that I didn't have the problem with my previous monitor. I changed screen resolutions for the new, larger monitor and rearranged my desktop icons to conform to the larger screen size. I saved that orientation with that program I spoke of that saves the desktop for future restoration should it become necessary.

But whenever I close a program I get the blink and the icons just change positions. And pretty much to the same positions each time, too.

As I said, if I remove the new driver, the monitor doesn't work so I can't do other changes or testing. Therein lies my problem.

But thanks for the info. I need all the help I can get!

Robert

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!