1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing disk drives on a different operating system?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Darso, Jun 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Darso

Darso Thread Starter

I changed my disk drive letters on one of my operating system but i think that i made a mistake. because cannot start up again, as it freezes when the welcome sign shows up, (except this time it doesnt show the welcome sign it shows the windows xp sign. I have two windows xp operating systems and I'm now on other operating system but i was wandering if i can change it on this system. Any help?

2. raybro

raybro

Hi Darso and welcome to TSG... A little more information about your system would be helpful.

Specifics about the 2 OS's. Are you set up for dual booting?

Are they on separate partitions on the same HDD or separate HDD's?

HDD (?) size and unused space.

What were you attempting to accomplish when you changed drive letters?

I suggest you go to your TSG Accounts (top of page), scroll down to "computer Specs" and fill in as much info as you can. Then when you create a post, there will be an icon next to your name that when clicked will display those specs.

Raybro

3. Darso

Darso Thread Starter

Yeah, im set up with dual booting
    (btw thats the option that i have to choose when choosing the operating system?)

I already entered in my HDD and we have the same HDD.

I was hoping to change the disk drive letters so i could use the disk drive with higher "GB" for my files and etc etc.
    Any help?

4. Hughv

Hughv

5. Darso

Darso Thread Starter

Im trying to go on my other operating system but its not workig becuase i modified the disk drives on that system. Now im trying to change it on this operating system.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Once you have the OS installed, you can't change the drive letter of that drive except when it is viewed from another operating system. It has to stay the same from its own point of view when it is loaded, though you can assign any drive letter you want to a system partition if it is not the one being used by the currently booted OS.

7. Darso

Darso Thread Starter

So if i edit the drive on another operating system i cannot change it back unless it is disabled?

If so, how can i disable the drive?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/832556

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice