1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing Disk name

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by henthorn, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. henthorn

henthorn Thread Starter

I've had other questions about this but I am getting near action. I bought a floppy disk drive to add to my computer so I can use Partition Magic 8.0 to move and reformat disks and data. I thought Partition Magic wouldn't work with Xp but have learned there are two exe files and one will allow me to use XP. To rehash, over the years XP has renamed my boot drive several times, and at present it is named J. I have another smaller drive that for God knows what reason is named C. I have transferred all the programs and data to the J boot drive. I want to move all the material on the larger drive J to the smaller drive C, then I will reformat J and hopefully get it renamed C. Next I would like to get all the programs and data moved back to the larger drive, reformat the smaller drive and use it for a backup drive. I know that once the larger disk is reformatted and hopefully renamed that I will need to reinstall all the programs on the reformatted drive. I assume that I can just drag and drop the data into the respective programs to get everything back to the boot drive.

I am confused as how to go about all this without losing the ability to access my files. I really don't understand the basics of that process and what will and what will not screw it up.

2. wgalanis

wgalanis

Sounds messy, let's sort it out. First, how many physical hard drives do you have? How are the partitions laid out? Do you boot from the J drive and have data on C? If you run diskmgmt.msc in the Start | Run dialog you should get something like the image in the file attached to this post. Or at least it should be attached.

Attached Files:

3. henthorn

henthorn Thread Starter

Sorry I am a little late.

I have two hard drives. The Boot drive J is one part partition. The secondary drive C has 1/3 in a partition the rest is unallocated.

4. wgalanis

wgalanis

I do not hold out much hope for you changing the drive letters. In XP, changing drive letters is handled by diskmgmt.msc. However, all of your applications and your operating system settings live in the registry and there will be all kinds of pointers to your "J:" drive. Just changing drive letters will result in chaos.

I suggest you back up all of your important data, collect your software installation disks and keys. You can image your drive using Ghost or some other disk imaging software (backup, backup, backup!). Then wipe everything out and start from scratch. There are some utilities out there that can move application files from one drive to another but I am unaware of ones that will move the operating system and change drive letters.

If you are willing to live with the J drive as your boot drive, then you can use Partition Magic to make partitions larger if you need more room. If it were me I would wipe and start from scratch to have a "clean system".

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!