1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing Display Properties

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by AKA Arizona, Dec 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AKA Arizona

AKA Arizona Thread Starter

I found the place to change my display properties but I don't see 1024x768, 600x800 and 640x480 are my only options how do I get the latest drivers and where do I find my system devices?

2. mrdobalina

mrdobalina

there should be an Info Center to see your devices. depending on your card, you can get drivers from thier website. www.ati.com www.nvidia.com

3. tsunam

tsunam

For hardware lookup etc, in the menu options there should be kinfocenter. That will show you various details about your computer. Also on the video drives, you should be able to apt-get them, once we get the mirror problem fixed ;)

4. AKA Arizona

5. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

You didn't specify your distro or what version of X you are using, but the fundamental definitions of your display properties are kept in the "Monitor" section of either XF86Config, XF86Config-4, or xorg.conf (depending on what you are running). Typically those files - whichever is appropriate, or if you have been upgrading along the way all of them might be there) will be found in the /etc/X11 directory. In that file you can set those monitor resolutions and refresh rates you want available as options.

If you select a resolution and refresh rate that is not compatible with your hardware, you can damage the hardware, so be careful.

Be aware that this is the main configuration file for X and if you edit it incorrectly, X might fail to start.

6. AKA Arizona

I am using Mepis not sure about the "X"

7. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

X is X-Windows. You are almost certainly using some variant of X-Windows if you have anything other than a console window running.

8. saikee

saikee

All Linux and BSD (even Solaris) desktops are configurable by running xorgconfig or xorgcfg or xf86Config in Bash shell. The configuration file is kept under the directory and names as indicated by jiml8.

If your monitor supports it just add "1280x1024" etc in front of the "800x600" in the configuration file.

I use vi to edit it most of the time. Startx to try it out, if it doesn't work press crtl+alt+backspace to hoop back to the bash shell to have anpther go until the display is up to your standard.

9. AKA Arizona

how do I start X?

10. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Do you have a windowing interface running now? Or only a command console?

How X starts varies by distro. Try startx or Xsession to directly start it. You might also just type in X and see what happens.

If your system isn't in the right state, these will bomb and potentially hang your system.

Your init scripts should handle starting X properly. Try finding a script named dm in /etc/rc.d/init.d The actual location could vary, again depending on your distro.

11. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

OH. Forgot the most likely one: Enter telinit 5. That should put your system into the right state for X to run.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/423525