1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing Dollars Into Pounds

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by beekeeper, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. beekeeper

beekeeper Thread Starter

Hi Guys, I'm based in the UK and have a US Compaq keyboard. Above the number 4 is the $ sign - but there is no "pound" sign anywhere. I'd rather have both, but given the choice of one only, I would go for the pound sign. I'm running W98se and when I go into keyboard configuration to change from US to UK it tells me to insert my W98se CD which I don't have. My question is twofold:

1) Is there a way to reconfigure my keyboard without the CD?
    2) I have a W95 CD - would it be safe to use this or would it compromise my W98se installation - bearing in my mind don't have the CD to correct any problems

Cheers for any help

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Try browsing to c:\windows\options\cabs when it asks for the cd.

3. beekeeper

beekeeper Thread Starter

Thanks, but no joy with that - the cabs all refer to W95 - unless there's anything specific I need to look at - cheers

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd like to change dollars into British pounds if I could do it 1:1! :D

5. Miz

Miz

Do you have any kind of Recover or Restore CD that came with the computer? If so, use it when the installer it asks for the Windows CD.

Strange that the Cabs file on your computer refer to Win95. Win98 puts all of its install files on the harddrive in the Cabs folder when it's installed....unless the manufacturer pre-installed Win98 and removed that Cab folder for whatever reason computer manufacturers do that sort of thing.

If it's an upgrade from Win95 that you have on your system, look around for a second Windows folder to see if the 98 cab files are in it.

6. beekeeper

beekeeper Thread Starter

Thanks for your help guys £ £ as you can see I now have it. A pretty unusual solution - it only works in Word, where I copy and pasted this from. When I hold down Alt and key in 0163 on the number keyboard on the right (not the one above the letters), then release the Alt key, the £ sign appears wherever the cursor is!!

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

It works here too ;) Try it......

£

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can enter any of the 255 characters in the character set by holding Alt and typing the numeric value. ô Š ‰ This is a standard Windows "feature". :D

9. raybro

raybro

I have that 255 charcter set in hard copy I keep thumbtacked on the wall next to my desk. Real handy for stuff like

° ™ µ Å ½ ñ ² ³

Also have a scanned copy on file in Word (non-editable). Anybody interested , I'm willing to e-mail it. :D

10. putasolution

putasolution

If you use the English Keyboard layout, shift + 3 is the £ and Shift + 4 the $ symbol.
    Go to Start | Settings | Control Panel | Keyboard | Input Locales Tab
    Click the Add button
    Find English (United Kingdom)
    Click Apply

I appreciate that the US keyboard is a little different, so you could always invest £2.50 ($4) in a new keyboard ;)

11. beefy

beefy

Windows also has the Character Map built in.

Type in Start>Run and enter 'charmap'.
    This will bring up the Character Map. You can Select-Copy & Paste and of the characters. Also can select any of the installed fonts you have on the system.

12. mad-martin

mad-martin

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163467

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice