Changing Domain Controllers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nvrsummer2

Hope this belongs here............

I have some questions regarding changing the hardware in my domain controller. Im basically rebuilding it with new Processor, RAM, Mobo, etc.
Its just a desktop computer running Windows Server 2003. I plan to keep all the names of the machine and IP/domain the same. Is there anything I need to lookout for by doing this? I dont want to lose my active directory and user accounts on the machines that rely on this domain controller. Can I just build the new server, set it up as a domain controller with all the same settings and the computers will be aable to log into the new controller with the same users?

I don't recommend doing what you are planning to do. I would build a completely new server, promote it, wait for AD to replicate, transfer everything off the old one, and then demote the old one.

nvrsummer2

Ah I see, so new controller in an existing forest?? I think that is the option it gives when promoting a new controller. So in a sense its going to be the backup domain controller until I demote the original one

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online