1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing Drive Letter

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by shearn89, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shearn89

shearn89 Thread Starter

Hey all - hope you guys can help me. Here's the problem:

I moved my vista partition in order to extend it - i wiped the OEM recovery partition, moved the vista one, and added the freespace created to it. This was all with gparted. All went well - all the data is still there, no problem.

However, now when I boot into vista, I get the normal log on screen, it shows my picture and username, but when I log on I get "preparing the desktop", and then it pops up a rundll32 error saying it cannot access the specified device/path/file. If I click okay, I get a light blue screen and a mouse. I can launch the task manager and run things like regedit, or launch explorer.exe. This gives me a plain desktop using a temporary profile because it cannot find mine.

Looking at Computer, it shows that the "C:" drive has been assigned the letter X. I think this is what's causing the problem.

I've tried editing the MountedDevices key in the registry to reassign it, but whatever I do the changes don't stick, and when I reboot it reverts back to the main system partition being X, and one I can't see being C.

Any ideas/links/tutorials/whatever are much appreciated...

2. cowplopmorris

cowplopmorris

Generally you should not change the drive letter of the system disk, since many windows files and setups rely on it staying how it was on install.

In general terms, it shouldn't matter what letter it is. The only exception is some old programs have C: hard coded in to them, rather than finding the real system disk, but this isn't usually an issue.

However, if I understand your post correctly, your disk was C:, but has changed to X:. I think this can indeed cause problems. You could have a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188/en-us but read the warnings very carefully and follow the advice, definitely regarding backing up.

You could also look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249321/ , which the first article links to.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758441

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice