1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing drive letters in DOS mode

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by shinjots, Jul 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shinjots

shinjots Thread Starter

I'm trying to run a system recovery disk for an HP pavilion but it won't read the disk. The solution I found at HP's sight is as follows.

The recovery CD is not recognized in Windows
    Upgrading Windows changes the CD-ROM drive letter to D. Change the CD-ROM drive letter back to M as follows:

Right-click the My Computer icon on the desktop.

Click Properties. The System Properties window appears.

Click the Device Manager tab.

Click the plus sign (+) next to CD-ROM.

Double-click the CD-ROM name, and click the Settings tab.

Under Reserved drive letters, select M from the pull-down menu. Make sure that both the Start drive letter and the End drive letter are both M.

Click OK, Close, and then Yes.

Restart the computer and the new settings will take effect

........ My question is how do I do what it says above(or can I?) from a c: prompt, because windows has been removed from that computer. Thanks

2. Cosmic

Cosmic

I don't know if you can from the command line.

MSCDEX.EXE is what controls that function. Normally that drive letter is set in Config.sys / autoexec.bat. You probably can change it there, like the old days. Old DOS drives had to be consecutive.

There are some switches to modify MSCDEX. You would have to research to find exactly what they do and how to use them. I foggly think it is possible because IOMEGA does it in DOS for a ZIP but that is also part of the boot up procedure.

Think that is where you start, it might be different a bit depending on your operating system. When you do it in Windows, I think it auto changes the entry in Config.sys / autoexec.bat

Would take a bit of research.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You appear to be reading instructions for a recovery refresh, clearly you don't have the desktop available from DOS. You may have to change your BIOS settings to boot from the CD to get the recovery under way. Do you have a recovery boot floppy?

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

not sure if you could use the subst command

subst d: m:

This works in dos on my Windows 95 laptop. Not sure if it is available in pure dos.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I can't believe that the bare recovery needs any extraordinary measures to restore, it should be a very simple operation. My guess is that he's not booting from the CD, or it requires a boot floppy to kick-start things.

6. shinjots

shinjots Thread Starter

I am booting from the CD. It gets so far into the recovery and then I get the error message CDR101:not ready reading drive M.abort,retry fail. If I hit retry it pauses a few seconds and just gives the same message all I can do is abort Is it that I just have a CD-drive that's failing?

7. Cosmic

Cosmic

A couple of thoughts.

Maybe aren't loading the driver for the CD-ROM. Do you have a boot floppy? Try to fire up that way selecting boot with CD-ROM, and then try to change over.

Maybe it doesn't like that CD-ROM. At least look at that CD-ROM on another machine and ensure it is readable. Maybe make another copy of that CD-ROM on another machine.

Vacuum the CD-ROM, maybe it is dirty. You might be able to clean it depending on what you have for a cleaning disk using a normal cleaning procedure.

Copy out AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS to the floppy. Try to look at them on another machine. See if you can identify the correct entry to manually change the drive letter to something it might like (D, E, F or whatever). Should be able to do it in a Word Processor.

At that point you are sort of left with a failing CD-ROM drive as the only possible cause. Could try switching drives if you have a spare.

I never like that deal of wild drive lettering. I stay like the old days, each one is just one up.

8. shinjots

shinjots Thread Starter

Thankyou all.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/146919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice