1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing drive letters in PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nbiniker, Sep 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nbiniker

nbiniker Thread Starter

I recently upgraded from windows 98 to XP on my PC and it worked fine. The problem I have now is a shortage of space on my C drive. The machine has 2 physical drives. The first drive is partitioned into C and E drives. The C is 2 gigs and E is 1 gig. After I purchased the machine (which came with windows 95), I added a a second physical drive which is 13 gigs. What I would like to do is make the 13 gig drive my C drive (where all of the windows stuff) is and repartition the 3 gig drive into a single partition and make it the D drive. How do I do this?

2. pvc9

pvc9

Sorry to tell but this is not clear. What do you want to do? Do you want do disk partitioning or is it installation of Windows on the 13 gigs(or is windows already installed?)

To know more about fdisk use these links below -

Fdisk_1

Fdisk_2

Fdisk_3

Inorder to make your 13 gigs drive the C partition you need to change the hardware settings. Such that the 13 gigs is the primary master drive on IDE1 and then can connect the 2nd HDD as slave on IDE1 or connect it to the IDE2.

3. nbiniker

nbiniker Thread Starter

Currently, windows xp is installed on the c drive which is only 2 gigs and is a partition on a 3 gig drive. I would like to have a larger C drive. The machine also has another 13 gig disk on it which is the D drive. The other partition of the 3 gig drive is E.

What I would like to do is make the 13 gig drive the C drive and have window installed on it. Then, make the other drive a single partition D drive.

How do I accomplish this and retain all of the data?

4. pvc9

pvc9

Ok! For this you would need a ghost utility that would copy an image on the 3 gigs drive and paste it onto the 13 gigs drive.
    Try with Norton Ghost. Or XXCopy . But I'm not really sure whether XP will work with Ghost.

The other option is to back up all the essential data and then install Windos on the 13 gigs drive and finally after all that repartition the 3 gigs drive into just one partition.

its pretty late for me now here. so i need to sleep. will get back later. bye for now

5. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

To accomplish what you want to do you need to create an "exact" image of your current "C" drive onto CD(s). Then you lay that image onto the new drive. Doind a simple copy or backup/restore WILL NOT WORK. The drive itself does not have a letter - it will become the "C" drive when it is hooked up correctly. You should look into the Norton Ghost program for creating the drive image. This program is almost the universal standard. Once you have "ghosted" the image of your "C" drive you may need to change the jumpers (and possibly the location) of the disk-drives and boot from the new drive. the old drive will then come up as probably "D" and "E". You will already have everything you had on the old "C" drive so you only need to copy what was on the other old partition to your new one. If you already have data on the new drive it will have to be backed up before the "ghost" process or it will be lost.

If you do not have the tools to do this check with PC stores in your area. Someone like CompUSA or MicroCenter should be able to do this for you at a fairly reasonable change.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/93734

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice