1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing drive letters in W2K

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pradhan, Jun 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pradhan

pradhan Thread Starter

I have recently added a 40 gig drive to my machine which I want to make the bootable drive. It was partitioned into 2 drives. The original drive was a 20 gig drive also partioned into 2 drives.

Drive letters were as follows:

20 Gig = C;D
    40 Gig = G;H after added.

I successfully mirrored the C drive onto the G drive, and then changed the IDE cables to make the new drive the primary IDE and the system successfully boots from there, but the drive letters remain as they were originally assigned by windows 2K. I want to flip them, that is, make the new 40 Gig C and D, and the origninal 20 Gig G; H.

The drive manager however, won't let me change the system drive letter. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks,
    Pradhan

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

I would try booting without the 2nd drive plugged in and see if that will force them to change.

3. pradhan

pradhan Thread Starter

I am booting with both drives installed, only the IDE cables swapped. That does suggest the possiblility of booting with just the new drive installed, leaving the old one unplugged. At least that would free up C and D and perhaps I could futz with that.

I was also thinking I could boot off the new, change the old drive letters, then boot off the old...etc, etc until finally C and D were applied to the new drive.

I wonder if there is a way to specify which IDE is primary in the bios setup so I can avoid switching cables...

Pradhan

4. pradhan

pradhan Thread Starter

Well, more problems...

I can no longer boot off the new drive.

The system boots all the way to user log-in and then I get an error
    "Limited Virtual Memory"...your system has no paging file, or the paging file is too small...

and then it instructs me how to change/create the page file. When I click ok, unfortunately it loops me back into the user log-in.

I can still boot off the original drive so I do that and create pagefiles on the new drive. I still get the same error after booting on the new drive.

The original drive was a 20 gig, partitioned into C and D.

The new drive is 40 gig, partioned into G and H.

Is it possible that because the Maxtor utility essentially copies system files et al, that the new drive is still referencing the old C drive variables? Is the pagefile size related to the size of the disk partition?

Can anyone help? Thanks,
    Pradhan

5. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

What software did you use to mirror the drives? If you just copied the entire contents of the disks across that isn't going to work.

For the time that you are spending on this it would be better to take the old drive out, put the new drive in on its own, format it and then do a proper full install of your OS onto it. You will have to install your apps all over again, but you can then put the old drive back in as slave and access your docs and files from it as a backup.

6. Dan O

Dan O

I agree with Nick, but if you want to do it anyway most hard drives come with a utility disk which has a disk to disk copy utility. Or you could use a product such as DriveCopy from PowerQuest. The reason they are required is there are many hidden system files and sometimes a hidden partition that need to be copied, which XCOPY and Windows don't see or can handle.

7. pradhan

pradhan Thread Starter

I used the utility that came with the Maxtor Drive. In actuality, I was planning to re-install everything afresh, but then I decided to try this. I may end up re-installing...as you suggested.

Pradhan

8. Dan O

Dan O

Then I am surprised it did not work.

Keep us posted what you do next. Good luck.

9. pradhan

pradhan Thread Starter

Microsoft helped me out. Seems this is a common problem with cloning drives which yields differnt drive letters. Here is the appropriate MS paper

Unable to Log on if the Boot Partition Drive Letter Has Changed (Q249321)
    Seems the registry keeps a record of the bootable drive and subsequent pagefile location. Of the cloning does not also change the registry addressing, this problem arises.

MS gives detailed instructions on editing the registry.

10. Dan O

Dan O

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/83002

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice