Changing drive letters

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

naveen_venayak

Hi, I was wondering if there was any way to change my driver letters because I'd prefer having the drive with my OS on it as C instead of D.

Yes backup any data you have on this system and then reformat and re-install and make the main drive C:\. Once you set the main drive it is not a good idea to change it basically the whole system is set to the boot drive to be D:\.

You can change any drive letter except the one the OS is on by right clicking My Computer, choose Manage, then storage and the disk management and you wills ee how in there, but again not the drive the OS is on.

ozrom1e said:
That's why I told to re-install with it set to the c: drive.
i know that I just thought my approach was a bit gentler...lately I am getting accused a lot of verbal brutality.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Actually, if Windows is installed on D:, you can't change the drive letter of either C: or D:, since the boot files are on C: no matter where Windows is installed.

JohnWill said:
Actually, if Windows is installed on D:, you can't change the drive letter of either C: or D:, since the boot files are on C: no matter where Windows is installed.
True good point!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online