1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing Dual Boot System to Single Boot System

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jsaffer, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsaffer

jsaffer Thread Starter

I've got a 100 gig hard drive divided into a primary C partition and a second logical partition (E drive). (I also have a separate hard drive, which is D, which I use for backups). This is a dual boot system - the C drive has Windows ME on it, which I don't use anymore, and the E drive has Windows XP Pro.

I'm wanting to find out if I can turn this dual boot system into a single boot system, so that I just have Windows XP on my system. Windows XP is now on the E partition. I'd like to avoid having to reinstall the XP operating system and having to re-install all my applications, etc. Is there a way to simplify this process of going from an ME/XP dual boot setup to an XP setup? Is there some automatic way to use so that XP and the applications on E will now migrate to C?

I'd appreciate tips and suggestions on how to accomplish this. I have Partition Magic, so I can use that if it's helpful. Thanks very much. Please feel free to e-mail directly: [email protected]

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's very difficult to move a Windows installation to a new drive. Since you'll be going from E: to C: when you're done, chances are you'll end up re-installing anyway. There are published guides to moving the O/S, but they frequently end up taking more time than simply doing a clean install.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272309

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice