1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing Email Addresses

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by WuLabsWuTecH, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WuLabsWuTecH

WuLabsWuTecH Thread Starter

Hi all,

I'm new around here, and I was hoping that you guys might be able to come up with a better solution for something I'm trying to do that is better than what my friends and I have come up with so far.

I want to change email addresses (since the "old" or "current" address is one my school assigned, and I can now choose one that actually has my name in a recognizable form in it). The problem is that as soon as I pick out a new email address, my old email (let's say [email protected]) will no longer exist. There is also no option to forward messages, senders to that address will just get a "user does not exist message." Poor design, I know, but I have been told there is no way for IT to change this.

So, my question is: what is the best way to ensure emails still reach me? Those in my institution who use the Exchange server will note my updated address if the look me up, and the default send email client for professors, major advisors, etc all do a lookup each time, but for those users who have me on their personal contact list, or who are not in my institution, is there a good way of not missing emails?

Proposed solutions:

1) Set up a temporary email ([email protected]) and tell people that is my email address for now. Then use [email protected] and [email protected] until there is no more (or at least no more important mail) coming to [email protected]. Then change to [email protected] and change emails again from [email protected] to [email protected].
    Pros: Smooth transition, won't miss emails, can keep temp email indefinitely even after the switch to the new email
    Cons: The Exchange server will not update, I'll have to wait a few months to get the new email up and running, all of my contacts will have to update my information twice

2) Get the new email, and go through all of my emails and make a list of people I have emailed in the past year (or just hit reply and copy paste a default message to each reply) and email all of them about my address change.
    Pros: Quicker change to new address, do not have to switch addresses twice
    Cons: Possible missed emails, spam filters may catch my email since I will be sending it to many people

Thoughts? Other ideas?

2. srhoades

srhoades

Pay $1.19, get your own domain from GoDaddy, and just migrate away from your school domain.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Option 2 is really your only option. If the school won't forward messages, there's nothing you can do to work around that. You have to notify people of your new address.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Switch to a "permanent" address for your non .edu contacts--srhoades's suggestion or gmail or hotmail, etc. And then option 2 for your school contacts.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972728

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice