1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing file designation.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Stephen47, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stephen47

Stephen47 Thread Starter

I am trying to make changes to a picture and when I try to save it I am told it is a rad only file. I go to properties and uncheck read only and apply it to the folder and all sub folders and files. When I check properties again it is marked as read only again. How do I fix this?

2. moper

moper

Windows marks all folders as read-only. Only an old program would have trouble with this folder attribute. But, files can be read-only. Uncheck read-only in the file property sheet.

moper

3. Stephen47

Stephen47 Thread Starter

The program I am using is Windows Live Photo Gallery, not too old. I did uncheck read-only as I stated in my first post and it comes back checked read-only the next time i open properties. Yes I check apply before OK.

4. moper

moper

Just to clarify: You said:
    Is this the Folder or the File? You said Folder. You cannot remove Read only from a folder with the Property Sheet. You must use the command prompt.(It's probably not read-only anyway).

But, you can remove the read-only from individual files from the Property Sheet. If, for some reason, you have a lot of read-only files, they can be easily changed from the command prompt, also, using 'attrib /s -r'.

moper

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Where is the file located?

6. Stephen47

Stephen47 Thread Starter

In a folder named "pictures" on my C drive

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Is there any other information you can provide that might help? There's no reason a regular folder on your primary system drive should be marked read-only and can't be changed.

How long have you had this problem?
    Did something happen recently with the computer? Reinstall any software? Experience a virus or spyware infection? Any other strange or unexplained errors?
    Can you save and open other files such as documents or text files?
    What if you move one of the pictures to another folder and try to change it?
    Is this your person computer, or is it a work computer?
    Did you buy it new or used?

8. Stephen47

Stephen47 Thread Starter

I just noticed it two days ago.
    I recently installed Acronis Disk Director. No virus, no strange errors.
    No problem opening and saving text files.
    I did move the pic to a different file and was able to work with it.
    It is a personal computer. I bought it new two and a half years ago.

9. moper

moper

Did you mean that you moved the picture file to another folder, and then was able to edit it? Are there other pics in this 'Picture' folder that refuse to be edited?
    Did you create this 'Picture ' folder? Is the path: C:\Pictures?

Create a new folder and copy(don't move)all the pics to the new folder?

If it turns out that the Picture folder is indeed read-only, it can be removed at the command prompt easily, but copying to another folder is also quick and easy.

moper

10. Stephen47

Stephen47 Thread Starter

Yes I was able to work with it in another folder.
    Yes the path is C:\Pictures
    Now even though the folder is still marked read only, I am able to edit photos and save the changes.
    I don't get that. Why is it working now?

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I think a Windows "glitch" might be throwing you off here. I doubt the folder is actually read-only. Are you seeing a green square inside the read only check box when you look at the properties of the folder? Or are you seeing a check mark in that box?

I don't have time right now to look up the technical explanation for the markings, but I think you may be interpreting what you're seeing incorrectly. Attached are two pictures for reference. The green filled square does not actually mean the entire folder is read only. I think it means that indexing is turned on.

Hopefully someone will post later with more details.

Attached Files:

12. moper

moper

Possibly, it was some glitch with Photo Gallery.
    Anyhow, the read only check box on folder properties is confusing, because it does not actually refer to the folder, only to the files inside.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549/en-us

moper

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!