Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Changing file ext. in WinME

705 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Wet Chicken 
#1 ·
We have two programs on our main computer with the same exact file extension (.php). Now every time we try to open a HTML file our greeting card program opens up instead :eek:

How do we change the file extension to one of the programs so that they no longer conflict?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Is there an option in your greeting card program for setting file associations ?

EvileYe.

#4 ·
Go into Folder Options in the Control Panel, click the File Types tab, look for the file extension and modify it to point to IE :)

#5 ·
But then everytime I go to open up the greeting card program, won't IE open up?

I thought I had to modify the greeting card program (what it looks for) somehow?

#6 ·
Check and modify your file associations for one or both programs.

#7 ·
If you mean that your greeting card program is saving files with the .php extension, then it would not hurt to point the .php files to IE. You could still run the program without IE opening. The downside would be having to 'Open With...' every time you want to open a .php with the greeting card prog.

This will also fix the problem if the program is set to be the default viewer of .php files.

You could still use the program to open these files, you'd just have to do it from within the program.

Why any program would want to use a .php extention is beyond me...surely the makers could see the conflict...

#8 ·
Yeah I know. I guess they missed .HTM :rolleyes: :D

Ok I think I figured it out :eek:

I chose "New" and made a file extension called PH2, and then I told it that from this day forth everything with a PH2 extension would be for the greeting card program. Now I think I just have to open the greeting card folder up and rename all of them PH2 and it should work... key word is should :p

I'm going to try it now...

THANKS GUYS!

#9 ·
you should be able to do a quick and dirty renaming from DOS
cd to the correct directory and put in
ren *.php *.ph2

Now, the REAL trick will be to get the program to create any NEW files with the ph2 extension.

Good Luck

#10 ·
I did a search for .php and it said that I had over 2000 files with that extension on it :eek:

Most of them are computer scripts so I don't want to rename those :p I looked in the card programs folder and I didn't see any files with that extension. I'll have to weed through all of those files and manually rename the ones for the card program. Might be easier to just install the card program on another computer :D I just hope that when I delete the program that it doesn't delete any of those 2000 files :eek:

#11 ·
I have a feeling that the majority of those 2000 files are going to be in your TIF folder aka, the great windows landfill!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.