1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing file name

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by suz15april, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. suz15april

suz15april Thread Starter

I have the XP operating system. I wrote some pictures (jpegs) on to a CD-R that were sent to me via e-mail and I would like to rename the numbered jpegs. When I right-click to rename the jpeg I get a message "If you change a file name extension the file may become unstable." How do I rename them without ruining my pictures?

2. wanabe_buck

wanabe_buck Guest

name them anything you want... just don't change the .jpg extention

buck

3. slipe

slipe

Use the left arrow key to take the cursor to the left of the period preceding the extension. Then hold the backspace to erase the number and you can name it anything you want.

Or you can just start typing and overwrite everything, but you have to type “.jpg” at the end of each one.

Or you could just rename the files ignoring the extension and use a batch renamer to add the extensions when you are through: http://www.nonags.com/nonags/fileren.html

4. suz15april

suz15april Thread Starter

Now it tells me I can't rename files on read only. Thanks anyway.

5. THoey

THoey

This sounds like more of a CD-R problem. Are you allowed to change other file names?

6. Ish

Ish

if you're trying to rename the files while they are on cd-r it's not possible!!

if you have copied them from cd-r to your pc hardrive right click on the pic and choose properties. make the the read-only box is not ticked.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165550

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice