Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Changing File Properties causes XP Crash

692 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  dayhu 
#1 ·
Can some help with this bizzare behavior on windows XP sp1 The following sequence usually causes my pc to crash Right click on a file ---select properties--summary Add something to Category field or Comments field Click apply Pc crashes and reboots
Event viewer says computer has rebooted from a bugcheck etc etc If I close all unneeded programs such as Norton etc same thing happens

Any ideas

#2 ·
Try this:
Turn Off the "Fade or Slide Menus into View" Visual Effect
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System (or double-click the System icon).
3. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Performance.
4. On the Visual Effects tab, click to clear the Fade or slide menus into view check box.
5. Click OK.

or this:
Use Classic Windows Folders
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Click Appearance and Themes, and then click Folder Options (or double-click the Folder Options icon).
3. On the General tab, click Use Windows classic folders.
4. Click OK.

Also, after you rt-click, check in Task Manager to see if anything is using a lot of CPU.

moper

#3 ·
I think I have discovered the cause of the problem --Norton Go Back 4 I say version 4 because I have another pc with version 3 and it does not have this problem. I will contact Norton.
I will not disable Go Back because from my point of view it is the most valuable program on the computer after the operating system I have been using Go Back for many years and this is the first time I have had any issues with it I don't think I would like to operate a computer without that safty net.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.