1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Changing folder icons back to default - delete desktop.ini

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ozegirl, Jul 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

I have a series of folders in My Documents (say 2019, 2018, 2017...) each with subfolders. Some time ago I marked certain subfolders with a custom icon. As the need changed, I manually changed some of these back to the default icon. Now I wish to get rid of all the custom icons. I know that creating a custom icon creates a file desktop.ini. Is it safe enough to go to each of the folders eg 2019 - search for all occurrences of desktop ini in that folder/subfolders and delete? My goal is not just to change the icon back to the default, but to get rid of all the desktop.ini files. I am not going to be deleting any from the My Documents folder itself as the search will start on the next level down.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    One can NOT get rid of any of the ini files. Once deleted, they will be remade once the folder is opened. The desktop ini file will be made as soon as a refresh of the desktop is done.
    If you do not want to see these files, you need to go into the Windows Explorer and set the system file not to shown.

Attached Files:

3. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Thank you

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice