1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing folder icons to show open or closed and changing default folder icons.....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by thewolfe, Dec 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thewolfe

thewolfe Thread Starter

Changing folder icons to show open or closed and changing default folder icons like "Favorites".

Here we go again.

I have recentely learned how to change a folder icon manually in Windows Explorer, and now would like to be able to manually change the folder so it shows the folder open and shows the folder closed.

I would also like to know how to change default folder like "Favorites" and "Control Panel"

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

One part of this can be done. But not the open folder icon. That would have to be coded into the program. To change the icon when the Folder has been opened and /or closed you would have to write a utility of some sort, I think.

However you can change default shell icons. Shell icons are actually icons which are contained in the file Shell32.dll. Favorites and Control Panel are just two of these.

I used to have a list of the shell icons and their corresponding numbers. I seem to have misplaced it.
    To figure out which number is assigned to a particular icon you want to change, here's a trick. Create a shortcut to the Recycle Bin. Then start the procedure to change the shortcut's icon. The Shell32.dll icons will appear. Count them. Then note the number for the particular icon.

Count each row from Top to bottom starting with the far left. The first icon is number 0. The folder is number 3. Once you have found the icon you want to change you will perform a registry tweak.
    I have done it in both Win98 and XP.

Open the registry and Navigate to this key. (again, it might be a slightly different path in 2000. This one worked in XP though I had to create it. This key doesn't exist by default in XP like it does in 98) Here's how it's done using the Folder Icon as the example.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\windows\current version\explorer\shell icons
    If shell icons is not there, create it under Explorer.

Right Click on the the shell icons key and select new>string Value
    Name it 3
    Modify it to the path of the icon you want to use to replace all those Yellow Folders.
    Let's say you had a folder on the desktop named icons and it had an icon named new.ico
    You would modify the string value to read
    C:\windows\desktop\icons\new.ico
    Close regedit. Step two is redrawing the icons. Go to display properties and select effects. Place a check in the "use large icons" box. Let the icons redraw. Set the box back again.

As I mentioned before, Windows2000 is different. In XP I have both

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\windows\current version\explorer

And

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\windowsNT\current version\explorer

You'll have to see how Win2000 looks. You may have to use The latter key. I don't know. I have never used 2000.

3. thewolfe

thewolfe Thread Starter

OK, a couple of questions.

1. What do you mean "The FOLDER is number 3." Do you mean the third icon down?

"Count each row from Top to bottom starting with the far left. The first icon is number 0. The folder is number 3."

2. When you say "Modify it to the path of the icon you want to use to replace all those YELLOW FOLDERS" do you mean the recycle bin in your example?

Haven't had so much fun in a while. I love to learn and the teach others.

4. thewolfe

thewolfe Thread Starter

5. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

The Folder Icon is the fourth icon. Therefore its number is 3. Have a look at the attachment. I numbered a couple of icons to help you picture it.

I am not replacing the Recycle Bin. I made the shortcut to the bin so that I could right click and choose properties. Then click Change Icon. This then opens up the icons in Shell32.dll so I can then count them.

The idea here is this. We are redirecting Windows Explorer to a different icon. Icon number 3 is the folder icon. We create a String Value in the Shell icons key. Name it 3. Then we modify that string Value. The data to enter is the path and name of the icon we want to substitute.

For instance. Let's replace the Control Panel icon with an Icon I will put on the desktop named NewPanel.ico

Create a New String Value and name it 35
    Double click on 35 and modify the value to:
    C:\windows\desktop\NewPanel.ico

Then go to Display Properties>Appearance and change the size of the icons. This flushes the Shelliconcache. Let it reset. The new icon will now be in place. Set your icons back to the size you want to use.

Attached Files:

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!