1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing from pirated volume license to retail OEM without format. - can it be done?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SoltoN, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoltoN

SoltoN Thread Starter

Ok, heres the deal.

I was in computer retail for many years, participated in the Intel retail edge program 3 or 4 times, and thus have 3 or 4 valid, legal, XP Pro CD keys in my cd key list. However when it came time to format the system after a virus infection, I didn't have any of the XP Pro OEM install disks, and therefore I hastily installed a volume license edition I did have kicking around. This obviously impairs optional windows updates, etc, so I began searching, and eventually found a friend that has a sp2 OEM install disk.

Now I'm looking to switch over the system to a legal version of windows, and although I have everything backed up, I would rather not spend the next 6-8 hours reinstalling everything. So heres my plan: Slipstream a new disk with my raid drivers, and do a "system repair" off of the cd. This should replace all the volume license files with retail ones, then boot into recovery console, and use a vb script I found online that runs from a command prompt to change the cd key to a valid retail OEM key.

Can anyone poke holes in this solution, or offer a better one for what I am trying to do?

Thanks.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592141

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice