1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

changing from winME to win2000

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by authorette, Dec 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. authorette

authorette Thread Starter

Hello

My HP is loaded with windows ME (I hate ME) and I have windows 98 and an upgrade version of windows 2000. How do I install them from ME. I've heard that you have to "strip" down your hard drive, but I have no clue how to proceed. I will be backing up all my files/programs loaded from the net onto a CD ROM. I appreciate any help I can get on this because I am so tired of getting the blue screen of death all the time on ME.

thanks

2. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

If the W2K CD is an upgrade Cd you should just have to put it in the drive while Me is running. Assuming autorun is enabled you will get a message that a newer version of Windows is available on the CD and would you like to install it now.

I haven't done this from Me but I've done it about 20 times from 98Se and it should work the same from Me.I would still back everything up first though just in case...

3. brianF

brianF

If you know what hardware you have it would be wise to find 2k drivers to have on hand.

Biggest problem could be lack of drivers or incompatible software

You will have to decide if you want to do a clean install which will reformat your hard drive, or an upgrade which will preserve your current files.

clean is best but doing it will remove everything from your hard drive or partition you are installing it to.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62447

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice