Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Changing from WPA to WEP

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Squashman 
#1 ·
I have a DataLink DI-524 router with a Printer, a Win XP home wired, Win 7 professional 32 bit wired, and a Win 7 home premium 64 bit wireless. I have a Nook reader that does not connect well wireless. They advised me to go to WEP instead of WPA. How much difficulty will be involved in changing. I really don't understand the 4 keys for WEP. I guess I am a little dense. Please help if you can. Thanks:confused:

#2 ·
I have a DataLink DI-524 router
By some chance do you mean D-Link instead of DataLink? The D-Link DI-524 allows you to create up to four WEP encryption keys but can only use one of them at a time. You can just enter one key and leave the other three entries blank.

Changing from WPA to WEP involves first logging into the router's configuration pages, preferably using a wired connection from the computer to the router. Change the encryption method to WEP and enter a new 64 or 128 bit key. Saving the changes may require a rebooting of the router and in any case any wirelessly connected devices will be disconnected at that time.

You then need to go into the wireless configuration settings of each device and enter and save the new encryption key.

WEP is a lot less secure than WPA and can usually be cracked by a hacker in a few minutes. It will serve to keep honest people from accidentally borrowing you WiFi connection. I would normally say to use the 128 bit version of WEP and making up a totally random passphrase key for maximum security. Since it would still be easy to crack no matter what, you might want to use a not so random WEP passphrase that you can easily remember but would be difficult for someone else to guess.

#3 ·
Thank you! Yes, I did mean D-link. I had looked up the change from WPA to WEP, but I didn't want to have to go through a big deal to do it. It sounds fairly easy after you explained it, but I'm not sure I want less security. Even though I live in a small town and know my neighbors, I like the security. I may just put up with taking a long time to connect the Nook. Again, thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.