1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing Hard Dive to SSD/ Home server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Limon, Nov 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Limon

Limon Thread Starter

Hello guys.

I have an HP xw4400 Workstation, 232 GB Hard Drive: 6 GB RAM (2x2 GB + 2x1 GB): 460Watt PSU.

I also have a Packard Bell UTOW-SUN (XP) 80 GB HD : 230v @4A (920W) PSU.

The Workstation is getting a bit slow. So I plan to add another 2GB RAM: Remove the 232GB Hard Drive and Install a 240GB SSD. Use the 232 Hard Drive in the UTOW-Sun for a Home Server.

Any advice/assistance or criticism welcome. Thank you.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You should be able to Clone the 232GB HDD to the new SSD for use in the HP desktop.
    The SSD should make saving and loading files faster but it will not speed up anything else.
    An extra 2GB Ram may provide a speed boost depending on what you use the HP for.

Please run this on both computers and paste the 2 text outputs into your next reply :- https://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

What sort of files will you want to share using the PB as a Server ?

Please look in Device Manager on both computers and tell us what Network Cards are shown under Network Adapters.

3. Limon

Limon Thread Starter

Hi. This info is for the HP XW4400. Will take me a while to get info from the Packard Bell.

The Packard Bell server will be used mainly for a Blog; and later, possibly for Online business if I can manage the task of setting it up.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 6143 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 285 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM), 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 232 GB (186 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 0A68h
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated.

Network Cards: Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, Edimax 802.11n PCI Card, Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter.

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You could just share some folders on the PB using an ordinary windows OS over a home network (LAN).

5. Limon

Limon Thread Starter

I intend to use one of the most lightweight Linux OS for the server, low power requirement.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Good idea. I've used a few versions of Puppy Linux, most are very lightweight and run in ram so you can run it without a hard drive. Not sure how good it is for sharing files with windows though.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218999

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice