1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing Hard drive and motherboard

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Allenv, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allenv

Allenv Thread Starter

:) This is what I want to do.Transfer everything from my ide on my computer to a sata drive on my computer and then use it in a new computer that I"m building.I had to slow down the drive to sata1 to get it to work in old computer.Drives are maxtor ide and Western Digital sata 2.I have both softwares.Running win xp pro all updates applied.Any help is going to be appreciated.
    TIA,Allenv

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

You can transfer files and data but you will need to install Windows clean on new build...fine to have files and data on the drive in a separate partition so you do not format the whole drive by accident and lose everything, or use sata drive for clean install and then jumper the ide drive as slave and use whatever you want from it in new build.

3. Allenv

Allenv Thread Starter

I've got old machine up and running on sata drive is it possible to put this drive on a new moherboard?
    TIA,Allenv

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!