1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing Hard Drive on Portable Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bobhen, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobhen

bobhen Thread Starter

I have a notebook computer with Win XP and a 20 gig HD. That HD just isn't large enough for my traveling files. I am going to install a larger HD and I was looking for some way to just make a DISK image of the whole thing onto an external drive connected to the notebook through the USB port. I really don't want to start from scratch and reinstall everything. I currently have the main disc partitioned into 3 partitions. C: for the OS, D: for applications, and E: for data. F:, the external drive, is strictly for backup.

If this can be done, how do I do it? Do you know of anywhere I can find a step-by-step plan to do the job I want to do? I am pretty much a dummy on this sort of thing. Any help you can give me on this will be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Bob

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276867

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice