1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing hard drives without losing Data

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mkuki, Mar 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mkuki

mkuki Thread Starter

Hi Everybody
    My hard drive tells me that its about to fails and it gives that screeching/grinding noise! I am about to go but a new one so that I can remove the one that is about to die.
    I am thinking about using Norton Ghost to Clone my whole drive to the new drive before removing it however I am currently ME and Win2k; I want to keep 2000 and get rid of ME (The PC came with it) but I know If I clone everything it will transfer with it to the new drive...what can I do?
    I kinda want to start afresh but keep some data from the old hard drive (ones on Win2k)
    Should I reinstall Win2k on the new drive then set it to master and reistall Norton and Select the files I want to keep? This is what I'm thinking however I am worried that maybe since the PC came with ME If and on the new drive I won't have ME Some things might not work like my screen or other drives like CDRW, FLoppy and DVD.
    Can somebody help me with this...am I on the right path or can somebody suggest a better way to do this? I really hate ME and I'd rather not have it.
    Your help will be greatly appreciated

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi mkuki, Welcome to TSG !!
    You may need to find the drivers for your motherboard first. You can get AIDA32, install it and it should tell you. Go to the manufacturers web site and get any drivers it offers ( 4in1, USB, sound, etc.) You can get AIDA32 here: http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32
    This is what I have done:
    Since you have a rewriter and you want to start afresh, copy any files you have to CD. ( Are these files NTFS or FAT32)??

Go here and download the DOS 6.22 disk. Open it , put in floppy and everything will go to floppy.
    Reboot and go to BIOS, set it to boot from floppy
    Put in floppy, save changes and reboot. When you get dos prompt type in fdisk and hit enter
    Follow the instructions and delete all the partitions.
    Shutdown
    Put new drive in as master remove old one. Boot to BIOS and select boot from CD
    POut in 2000 cd and reboot follow prompts and you can partition the new drive through 2000 cd.
    One question though:
    If this ME was in when you bought pc ( HP, DELL, Compaq, ETC. )

[​IMG]

3. mkuki

mkuki Thread Starter

Thank you very much for replying
    Yes the ME came with the computer...It is a compaq Presario 7000 Series
    The Files are FAT 32
    Somebody told me that I can just disable dual boot to avoid running into any problems with reinstalling everything afresh that is just clone my old drive to the new one, set it the new one to primary drive and then disable dual boot and take out the old drive (since its gonna die anyway)
    How do you go about doing this?
    Normally when I boot my PC it asks me which OS I want to use and I always use Win2k (that is why I no longer need ME besides its too buggy) however my worry is losing settings that came with the computer since it came with ME and was probably optimised for it or something like that...will my monitor be able to work with the new drive if I reistall Win2k3 and get rid of ME in the new drive and then be able to use the clone to select the stuff I still want to keep from the old drive? I'am sorry I'm adding more questions but I just wanna be sure I don't get into more problems that I am already in right now!

4. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi mkuki,
    If you look here it should give you the info you need to remove or disable the dual boot!
    [​IMG]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/124701

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice