1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

changing HOSTS to HOST.TXT

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by btnpd2, Aug 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. btnpd2

btnpd2 Thread Starter

does changing the HOSTs file to HOSTS.TXT in WINDOWS hurt anything? This is the only way I am able to view some sites and images. I can't even see the banners on this site without changing it to a txt file.

TSMIA:)

2. Ratboy

Ratboy

btnpd2,

It won't hurt anything to rename the HOSTS file. It does have it's useful purpose though. See below for more info.

What is the Hosts file?

3. btnpd2

btnpd2 Thread Starter

Thanks for answering and the link.
    What I don't understand is, some of the sites I couldn't view aren't in the HOSTS file. Also microsoft.com was in the list, but it didn't start with 127. And there are other HOSTS files that are numbered (i.e. HOSTS 2003). Is this because the file can only hold a certain amount of info? Do you know why I can now see the sites and images since I renamed the file?

TSM!:)

4. steamwiz

steamwiz

By renaming the hosts file ..... you effectively now have NO hosts file, and therefore no sites are being blocked

You do not need a hosts file, but if you have one you can make it work in your favour

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If Microsoft.com was in the hosts file, my guess is you have a Trojan that has changed it for devious purposes. I'd do some serious scanning to find out what you have been infected with.

6. btnpd2

btnpd2 Thread Starter

Thanks both of you.
    Can I remove sites from the file? They don't start with the 127 number though...
    TIA

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The stock HOSTS file has one entry:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Any additional entries have been added. Some may be valid, depending on what software you have on the machine, but the HOSTS file is a favorite way of subverting TCP/IP accesses to a bogus site.

My advice is to comment out all the entries that look suspicious and try running and see if any problems develop. I'd also do a spyware scan.

8. btnpd2

btnpd2 Thread Starter

Thanks johnwill :) Will do.
    I really appreciate your help!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/156495