1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing icons

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Calvin8910, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Calvin8910

Calvin8910 Thread Starter

I think I know how to do this, but I figured I'd just ask someone here to make sure.

After have an icon saved, you go to properties and then change icon. From there you go to browse and simply find the file.

It seems simple enough, but I figured I'd try to get some confirmation here before I do anything because I figure problems could arise, no?....

Maybe not, but still....

2. Augie65

Augie65

Yes, you are right. If you are using windows xp, click properties, then the customize tab then click change icon button, browse and go to the icon you want then ok.

3. Calvin8910

So I don't have to resize it, or anything like that?....

4. Augie65

Augie65

The only thing you need to do to see a picture you use on a folder is to switch to Thumbnails view. To do this, open My Documents, click on View from tools bar menu, click Thumbnails.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Is this an icon you created yourself?

6. lister

lister

If its a desktop Icon (for a prog or something) you may want to make a few different sizes, and put them into an icon archive.

The standard sizes for icons are 16 x 16, 24 x 24, 32 x 32, 48 x 48 ... (pixels) - the different sizes are so that the icon you made with a smaller size won't look jagged when it's resized - if you have large icons enabled.

IconSushi is a good freeware font maker prog
    http://www.grafxfreeware.homestead.com/iconsushi.html

7. Calvin8910

Alright thanks, and by the way, it isn't an icon that I made myself-- just something I found lying around WinCustomize.com.

I have a follow up question, though-- it's semi-related to what I was talking about.

Anyway, how do I make the icons on my desktop small?....

I'm not exactly sure if you can do this, but it seems possible. I mean, why not?

8. Claymore

Claymore

Hi,
    The desktop icon size is controlled in Display Properties. Don't know your Operating System, but if it's XP right-click on your desktop and click Properties. Under the Appearance tab click the Advanced button. In the Item scroll-down menu select Icon. Here you can change the size. 32 is about normal but you can make them any size you like. Click the Apply button for the change to take effect.

9. lister

lister

Of course it a depends as well upon the screen resolution.
    For example, a monitor with the resolution set to 800x600 pixels will show 32 pixel icons as quite large, but the same icon will look much smaller onscreen with a higher resolution of say, 1600x1200 px.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!