1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing Internet Homepage???

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by BigDaveinNJ, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigDaveinNJ

BigDaveinNJ Thread Starter

When I connect through one of my PCs to the internet, I use NETZERO PLATNUM... which, for the most part, I am pleased with. The only thing that I do not care for is when I connect initially.... it takes me to the NETZERO homepage. Now... with other ISPs... it would automatically go to whatever homepage I have set in INTERNET OPTIONS.... which for a few years now... has been YAHOO.

Well.... I still have YAHOO set.... however... it seems to automatically BYPASS that and go right to the NZ homepage. Do any of you guys know any kind of work-around for this? So I can have my browser open up in YAHOO or is this just something ISP related that I will have to live with?

Thanks in advance

DAVID :)

2. steamwiz

steamwiz

Hi BigDaveinNJ

It's probably a redirect in your hosts file

steam

3. BigDaveinNJ

Thanks steam... for your help. Is it a very technical thing to check and/or change this host file redirect thing? And... how would I begin to go about it?

4. steamwiz

steamwiz

Hi BigDaveinNJ

Change your homepage to "use blank" and see if it still opens at the NETZERO homepage - if it does you may be stuck with it - if it opens blank, try another homepage (not yahoo)

Do a start\find files and search for a hosts file (no extension) not hosts.sam - see if you have one

steam

5. Del

Del

Not sure anymore, but Netzero was free and paid for by the advertisers. I know someone who kept changing the homepage, which paid for the connection, and they got an email saying they would be billed.
    I don't know if this is still true, but be aware if you get a message from them.

6. BigDaveinNJ

Thanks guys..... for your help. I believe it's just something I will have to live with on my dial-up connection. BTW... I use NET-ZERO "platinum" which @ $9.95 is still a great bargain.

It only will go to the NZ homepage when first connected. After that initial screen.... just hitting HOME will take me to my desired YAHOO homepage.... so I guess a can live with it for awhile... Thanks again. :)

DAVID

7. Del

Del

They make millions off their homepage and that's how they can offer such good prices.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117482

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice