1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

changing ip address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by butrosbutros, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. butrosbutros

butrosbutros Thread Starter

hey, does anyone know an easy way to change my ip address? I wasn't sure if this was possible, but I would figure it can be done. Thanks for any help,

Mike

2. Del

Del

Depends on your ISP (internet service provider). If you connect with dial up you probably get a different IP everytime you connect. DSL, everytime you reconnect probably, and cable maybe less often.

3. butrosbutros

butrosbutros Thread Starter

thanks, i guess i'll just wait awhile

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you want a new IP address with cable, and your cable provider doesn't lock the IP's, you'll have to disconnect for more than the DHCP lease time. Since I suspect that's measured in days, I doubt you'll want to stay disconnected for that long a period. :)

5. Del

Del

When I was on cable, had the same IP address for 2 years. It was dynamic, but never changed and they would not change it for you.

6. JohnWill

Makes sense, I've had the same one for months, though it was different last summer. I do remote support for several people with cable modems, and their IP address stays for quite some time before I have to have them send me an email so I can lift the new one. :) One day I'm going to set them up with NO-IP or some other dynamic DNS solution so I don't have to keep getting the IP. :D

7. Del

Del

When I was connecting to my machine and had a dynamic IP that changed alot, I was using dynip to keep up with it.
    Worked fine.

8. Toddles18

Toddles18

I know everytime I reboot I keep the same IP address. If I change the NIC though, or the computer plugged into the broadband modem I get a new IP address. My ISP must map IP's to the MAC address of my NIC's

9. JohnWill

Interesting, my ISP (Comcast) uses the MAC address of the DOCSIS cable modem, they don't care what happens behind it.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice