Changing ip address...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lunchbox111

Windows XP
Microsoft Router
Cable Internet

How do i change my ip address? it changes from time to time but i dont want to wait that long. the reason i am asking is because my brother got himself banned from a forum that both of us visit, and they banned our ip.

anyone know?

Ah the beauty of living in a DHCP world.
Other than accessing your router's config page and trying a DHCP Release and Renew, there's not all that much you can do to obtain a new Ip from your ISP, I have Comcast and it seems like they lease ip's on a 6-8 month rotating schedule(unless they blow their DNS servers again, that was a fun week of up and down internet)

if they had banned your single ip than you are lucky but if they had banned the whole subnet oh boy you gona have a big prob getting back into the forums.

Colossus610 is right. It has nothing to do with your computer's (private) IP address. The IP address that matters is the one that's shown to the world, which is assigned by your ISP.

Couriant

James
Colossus610 said:
... I have Comcast and it seems like they lease ip's on a 6-8 month rotating schedule(unless they blow their DNS servers again, that was a fun week of up and down internet)
LOL, funny story... when it went down here in VA (I'm guessing it's all linked), i troubleshooted it and found the DNS was at fault. I called them up to tell them and they didn't believe me saying it was something else and the DNS servers were fine. I told them that to give me 10 minutes with the DNS servers and I will stop all of the incoming calls about the internet not working. They hanged up... :) I betcha any money that the dude said it was his idea to chack the DNS servers... LOL

The only thing i could suggest is contact the forum administrator and see if he/she can reinstate your account. The reason they ban ip addresses is to prevent people creating a new account to get back onto the forum.

lunchbox111

"The only thing i could suggest is contact the forum administrator and see if he/she can reinstate your account. The reason they ban ip addresses is to prevent people creating a new account to get back onto the forum."

i did, they dont check their email

"Other than accessing your router's config page and trying a DHCP Release and Renew, there's not all that much you can do to obtain a new Ip from your ISP, I have Comcast and it seems like they lease ip's on a 6-8 month rotating schedule(unless they blow their DNS servers again, that was a fun week of up and down internet)"

tried it, and my isp is Adelphia and the ip changes about every 1-2 weeks

i re-set up my whole router, and that just changes the ip of the router or something :mad:

thanks though

Couriant

James
You can't change the WAN IP address of the router, only the ISP willl do that.

lunchbox111

well the router ip has nothing to do with anything...even if i connect my computer directly to my modem im still banned

lunchbox111 said:
well the router ip has nothing to do with anything...even if i connect my computer directly to my modem im still banned
I just thought it'd be worth a shot.
The cable/dsl modem you have has a unique MAC address that Adelphia uses to identify you as different from all the other customers it supports.
When any system attempts to connect to the internet thru your cable/dsl modem, the MAC address of the modem is on record with Adelphia, as linked to your customer account, if the MAC address is ok'ed by Adelphia's system as being linked to a paying account, it allows access.
My first advice of trying a DHCP refresh/renew as just an attempt at something that may or may not work, even though it was your router sending the request, it still goes thru the cable modem, so Adelphia only sees it as your modem/account is requesting a renew.

So no matter what PC you use or router, the MAC address of the cable/or DSL modem is the only one that matters, as it is the last one and only one that determines your WAN IP.
So the site that banned your IP has banned the IP that was given it by Adelphia which has allotted the IP to the MAC address of your modem.

Does that last line make sense?, maybe I'm having an episode, it just seems confusing to me, and I wrote it. :D

Sorry for the bad news.

and as for the brother doing the naughty, my brother's an idiot(not that yours is an idiot, but i know how it seems, lol), just shove him into something small and stinky, like a gym locker or laundry hamper.

Couriant

James
lunchbox111 said:
That's because the IP address that the site got was from your cable company. Like Colossus said, the IP address is tied to your modem, not your router, so connecting your pc to the modem wouldn't make a difference. If your ISP has given you an IP based from your MAC address, then chances are they have assigned that number to you permanently.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online