1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing IRQ

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by crdave, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crdave

crdave Thread Starter

Is there any way to change IRQs with Windows XP when the computer is set up as an ACPI computer? I want to use an old DOS program with my PCI modem but the modem IRQ is 21 and my old DOS program needs an IRQ lower than 10.:confused:

2. digitalsatori

digitalsatori

Hi crdave!

ACPI typically handles the IRQ settings to resolve any IRQ conflicts and it is not recommended to disable it. I don't have any experience with this, and I'm sure it depends on your computer's make and model, but I have heard rumors that the ACPI only manages the top two PCI slots and if you move your PCI card to a lower slot, you can manually assign the IRQ. Again, just a rumor - I have no knowledge of this actually working, but it couldn't hurt to try!

Microsoft has an article on how to change the hardware abstraction layer when installing Windows 2000, and I can guess that this will work with XP as well, though it may require a reinstall of the OS. Here's the link in case you want to try this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;216251

3. crdave

crdave Thread Starter

Well, I have three PCI slots and I tried another one and the IRQ changed to 20 instead of 21. I guess I'll try the third slot and see what happens. Thanks.

crdave

[Edit] Well, tried that and it changed the IRQ to 22. I guess there's no way to change it without going to a "Standard PC" which I'm not going to do. Thanks anyway.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920332

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice