1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

changing irqs

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by gorper99, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gorper99

gorper99 Thread Starter

What is the correct way to change irq settings?Have some conflicts.

2. walkeriam

walkeriam

What Operating System are you using and what devices are the conflicts with?

3. gorper99

gorper99 Thread Starter

Millenium.Conflicts in sound.Had it in the shop and was told that it was a resources problem.Would cost too much in his labor for that old of a computer.Said if I had time,I could mess with it.Tried both of my slots on mobo,no help.I updated the drivers for onboard sound,no help.I disabled onboard sound and uninstalled drivers.I put in new sound card(tried 2 different ones) installed drivers,and still no sound.Sound plays for a couple of seconds and then get a buzzing.Reboot and sound again plays for a couple of seconds and then again,noise.And also when noise starts,computer freezes?I tried sound test in dxdiag,media player,wav file from internet with no improvement.In dxdiag I get a failure at step #3-H result=ox8878oooa(request failed because direct sound resources such as priority level were already in use by another caller.That is why I would like to assign it another irq?

4. walkeriam

walkeriam

Have you tried this?
    Disable the ON BOARD sound adapter (perhaps in BIOS). Put the PCI SOUND CARD in an empty PCI SLOT. Go to DEVICE MANAGER and REMOVE all under MULTI-FUNCTION ADAPTER and all under SOUND, VIDEO and GAMES CONTROLLER and re-boot the computer.

5. gorper99

gorper99 Thread Starter

Yes I have.I did not have a setting for multi function anything.I disabled onboard sound,removed everything related to onboard sound,installed new sound card-it was recognized,and installed my drivers.I even updated the drivers from web site.No luck.

6. walkeriam

walkeriam

How do you know there's a conflict with the sound card or is the sound just not working?

7. gorper99

gorper99 Thread Starter

With my onboard sound,I had yellow exclamation by sound&multimedia.With my new sound card installed,I get a blue screen and freeze on boot up.If I go in safe mode and disable my sound card,everything boots ok.From what I have read on these forums,there is probably a device conflict.So I thought if I played around with the irqs,I could get it to work.

8. walkeriam

walkeriam

Someone who knows more about On-Board Sound will have to help you with this one. I'm not sure if you have to disable it in the BIOS or through Multimedia in the Control Panel but it sounds (no pun intended) like theres a conflict between the On-Board and the PCI Card.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167404

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice