1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing IRQs... ?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by That_one_guy, Dec 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. That_one_guy

That_one_guy Thread Starter

I seem to keep having memory errors with winamp and windows media player (sound and video). It's those errors with the hex numbers... memory locations or something I believe.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the IRQ settings, but I noticed that both my sound (onboard audio from the motherboard) and my graphics card (GE Force 2 MX400) share the same IRQ numbers, number 11. It lists as...

(PCI) 11 CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device
    (PCI) 11 NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400

Also... all the other numbers have a different device allocated to them.. from 0 to 9, then it skips 10, and goes to 11 for these two. Is that ok? Any help and clearing up appreciated, thanks!

2. Dan O

Dan O

What OS are you running?

3. That_one_guy

That_one_guy Thread Starter

2000pro. Sorry!

4. Dan O

Dan O

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is a function of ACPI [Automatic Configuration Power Interface] it is doing what it is supposed to do. On rare occasions ACPI can cause problems. ACPI can be disabled and separate irq’s assigned to devices. I do not think that ACPI causes all of the problems that some people believe it to cause.
    Prior to disabling ACPI, check for driver updates for your devices, check what programs are running in the background, [check services also] try closing anything that is not absolutely necessary. After doing these things see if you still get the memory errors. Check the event viewer for errors, this can give you some information as to what may be causing your problems.
    ACPI can be disabled from within win2k and you should not have to reinstall your operating system. Here are the instructions for doing so. Again let me reiterate that you should check all other possibilities prior to disabling ACPI.

Under Windows 2000 you can disable ACPI from within Windows as follows:

Go to Device Manager and select Computer -> Properties of ACPI PC
    Click the driver Tab and choose Update Driver
    When the wizard gets to the "What do you want the wizard to do?" page select "Display a list of the known drivers..."
    Then "Show all hardware of this device class"
    Then select "Standard PC"
    Reboot the machine
    When Windows 2000 restarts it'll redetect most of the hardware in your machine again and reassign IRQ's to them, turning off ACPI.
    You should have device drivers for your hardware handy since you may have to reinstall them.
    Note: If you installed Windows with ACPI enabled in the BIOS, and then you disable ACPI using the BIOS, you may need to do a fresh install of Windows!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63659

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice